The Official MacDonald Waitlist Thread

The problem with really long waiting lists is that many people lose interest after about five years and end up buying alternatives. Turnover is very slow early on, but begins to accelerate. Everyone will ultimately be offered something at some point, but 5-10 years is a long time to wait for wine!

1. What is the date you signed up for the waitlist: 4/6/2018

2. When were you offered your first allocation? – likely post mortem

3. What was the cost per bottle of said allocation. – 2 children + 1/2 cow

I put my name on the Harlan list a long time ago and they kept offering me Maiden, and Bond, and other stuff. By the time I was offered the flagship, they wanted $350 a bottle and I declined. However, I waited 7 years for SQN and have bought every bottle offered to me since I made it to the list. The best part about the wait is that I saved THOUSANDS of dollars while waiting.

I was a Harlan buyer from vintage 1995-2004, when it reached $350. Solid wine but but $350? Now a decade later it’s something ridiculous! My guess is their list has had a 90+% turnover from the glory days two decades ago. On the other hand, only a fool would pass up their MacDonald allocation.

Signed up 04/24/15. Still waiting…

What is the MacDonald allocation? Is it the same for everyone?

3 bottles, same for everyone.

I get 850ml bottles, though.

1. What is the date you signed up for the waitlist: 8/24/2015

2. When were you offered your first allocation? – n/a

3. What was the cost per bottle of said allocation. – n/a

While the 850ml MacDonald bottles are quite rare, there is something even more extraordinary and considered by those in the know to be the holy grail of wine collecting. Of course I’m referring to the MacDonald Unicorn Bota Bag which is only released in leap years. The leather from which the bag is constructed is humanely harvested from one of the unicorns they keep on the property (only after a unicorn passes due to natural causes) and is rumored to grant the owner enhanced powers of perception, wisdom and drinking prowess. There are only two bags in existence (from years 2012 and 2016), and the identity of the owners is a closely guarded secret. The selection process for the owner of each bag is a grueling 4 year challenge that pushes each contestant to the breaking point. Think Hunger Games mixed with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and lightly sprinkled with elements of Family Feud and you have an idea of what the process is like. Many have died in the pursuit.

Gaze upon the glory though and tell me you wouldn’t gladly give up your life in this noble pursuit.
MacDonald Unicorn Bota Bag.PNG

Augusta National GC and The French Laundry get more than the “mortals” on the allocation list… [cheers.gif]

I bet Jay Hack gets a generous allocation as he’s one of the reasons MacDonald was ‘discovered’ by wine lovers - he championed them before anybody else heard of them!

Nah - I was at that dinner with Jay and Graeme and thought the wines were pretty wonderful. Got an offer too, but at the time was planning to move and didn’t want to add any more complications. Jay just makes a lot more noise than I do! Nonetheless, I did praise those wines - they were really good.

for the reach-around received prior to the round of gold you played with him

This has to be for Jay - that round of gold is something I’m not privy to.

The man who first championed MacDonald on this board was Tegan Passalacqua. Always listen to Tegan.

Isn’t it 3 bottles at $165 per bottle?

Hoping to get on the list.
Had a nice email exchange with Alex last fall.

Keeping my fingers crossed

Indeed, which is why I signed up for MACDONALD…which is kinda funny, because I signed for his list (Sandlands) due to MTP championing it.

Almost like a pattern…if so, maybe Alex and/or Graeme will chime in at some point to recommend the next “it” list! :slight_smile:

The real question is which cellar is better? I know which one is priced better [snort.gif]

Ha! This is my exactly – we must have read the same post back in 2013 and signed up the same day!

Cheers!

not confirmed info: but from what I have heard they are in the process of taking back some of their contracts to put those grapes into future production so they will be increasing total bottles over the next few vintages - for anyone who is waiting

Maybe all of us on the list will get 850ml bottles now champagne.gif