The ultimate thermometer from Chris Young

I will respectfully disagree - it is not a wet bulb thermometer. It will approximate the temperature reading of a wet bulb thermometer but only when the surface temperature of the item being cooked reaches equilibrium with the ambient temperature - and that is only if it has a temperature sensor that is close enough to the surface to measure the surface temperature. The thermometer is only indirectly measuring the cooling effects of the evaporation by measuring the temperature of the food that it is in contact with. I guess you could argue that it is an indirect wet bulb thermometer. This may seem like semantics but its the engineer in me - it drives my wife crazy.

But as you said, the cook is actually less interested in the wet bulb temperature of the oven than the surface temperature of what is being cooked so in this case the label irrelevant.

Iā€™m sorry Scott, now that I see you are just making a semantic arguement, Iā€™m sorry I wasted my time writing an answer.

Iā€™m a scientist, but I prefer to focus on what matters, not semantics.

Well, actually I was trying to be polite and frame it as a semantic argument - but it is an important distinction, especially for people trying to understand what is being measure and how. As a scientist, I am surprised that you do not seek precision in language as it does matter. I am an engineer by training and spent many years in the field doing test and measurement work so when I see new and/or interesting technology, I like to fully understand the physics and mechanics behind the scenes. Describing a thermometer that is measuring the temperature of food through direct contact as a wet bulb thermometer confused me as that, by definition, is not what a wet bulb thermometer measures. But as an experienced field engineer, I can also appreciate that it is often difficult, impractical, or unnecessary to measure some things directly. In this case it is actually the surface temperature of the meat that is more important than the wet bulb temp at the surface.

Cheers

Chris, no one actually uses your definition of a wet bulb thermometer in real life. Most donā€™t measure the wet bulb temperature, since that is obviously inconvenient to do. They derive the wet bulb temp from measuring the dry bulb temp and the relative humidity.

Semantic? More like pointless!

[cheers.gif]

An interesting/amusing TikTok of Chris Young using his Combustion thermometer to torture a steak (turn up the sound):

https://www.tiktok.com/foryou?_d=secCgYIASAHKAESMgowDY5Q0G5%2BOAl1wa19BSaphG%2BCst5Cc8atfqNr%2FtE9lKP%2BS1KP6JknX%2BlV62GG4xMcGgA%3D&language=en&preview_pb=0&sec_user_id=MS4wLjABAAAA3a7_7FOuZhJoo-f7p87OxQkGfiOO-A6VnLBGJix14UtuWFiWbTuyhRpr-x0KOqjJ&share_app_id=1233&share_item_id=6959076260651748614&share_link_id=39CB5173-AADE-4864-BBFA-BC42D3BFF35B&source=h5_m&timestamp=1620287728&tt_from=copy&u_code=defg8cfl3m2hg8&user_id=6874247820930237446&utm_campaign=client_share&utm_medium=ios&utm_source=copy&_r=1&is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1&item_id=6959076260651748614#/@chefchrisyoung/video/6959076260651748614

I chatted with Chris on Twitter and it sounds like the typical COVID supply chain issues have been a probelm, but that it will finally be available in March. 30% off preorders start at the end of January:

I signed up but still no pricing

Nope, havenā€™t seen pricing yet. Iā€™m sure we are talking $100 or more, so 30% off will help. But we pay $105 for our Thermapens, so what can you do lol. Although I donā€™t usually buy something without seeing reviews, Chris Young did create the Joule, which is probably the most perfect and reliable kitchen appliance Iā€™ve ever owned, so I have some confidence in this (heā€™s said he learned a lot from creating Joule about how to do it better next time).

Actually, I expect (hope) to get one to beta test soon (not sure if that means it is free or not).

I bought and returned the Meater. it just didnā€™t work as advertised

I donā€™t know which aspect of the advertising youā€™re referring to, but Iā€™ve been very happy with my Meater as a probe thermometer that doesnā€™t have a wire getting in the way. I donā€™t really pay attention to any of the ā€œsmartā€ aspects.

1 Like

I got the extender and the distance promised didnā€™t come close to what was advertised.
My grill is 150 feet away from my home. it worked fine inside the oven inside my home but I bought it for grilling.

Ah, yes, that makes sense. It works fine for me, but our distance isnā€™t very far.

1 Like

According to an email I just got, these go on presale for 30% off tomorrow at 12N EST for 2 weeks (-Feb 14th). Shipping in March.

Preorder is live now. Thermometer + timer is $139 (reg. $199). Ships June 2022.

Had signed up but I now I donā€™t think I can see the value in it for what I typically cook. $CAD215 delivered in June with the pre-order discount. Still a bit less than a meater.

I have the meater+ and the probe wireless connection kind of sucks. The wifi brick has to be almost in the dang oven or grill for it to pick up the signal. I will say itā€™s nice to have it connect to wifi so once it does it can essentially show you cook data anywhere your phone has data.

I did purchase the combustion single probe. Weā€™ll see how it goes when it ships in June 2022

I started an order 3 weeks ago and got distracted and did not finish. They kept in touch and today they offered 30% off, so I committed.

Why not, at less than two Jorge steaks Iā€™ll give it a go

Iā€™m getting 2, hopefully soon. Being a beta tester apparently means I save $50 total. [swoon.gif]

If thereā€™s anyone in the Boston area who is more into BBQ/grilling than me and wants to try them, invite me over for dinnerā€¦