The ultimate thermometer from Chris Young

I’m a sucker for technical measurement gadgets/devices. I highly doubt this will make much if any difference in the outcome of my food. It’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. But that didn’t stop me from buying the 2 pack.

1 Like

I just like graphs.

How much is the two pack?

It was about $250 for 2 thermometers and 1 monitor.

Post on Reddit:

“Chris Young here.

Clearly, I need to do a better job of being active on Reddit. Yes, the thermometer is designed to be an effective instant read thermometer, on par with the Thermoworks Thermopen with regards to accuracy and speed. As a chef, this was a really important feature to do right.
The near-production version I’m using right now has a response time of less than 2.5 seconds to a full stable reading, which is on par with the original Thermoworks Thermapen. And we’vee just made a small design revision to the tip sensor that should bring that down to about 1-second, which will put it on par with the new Thermoworks One.
This kind of response rate is only useful if it’s matched to a really good sensor, and for the temperature sensors inside the food, we use digital temperature sensors (rather than thermistors or thermocouples) that have a total accuracy of better than +/– 0.2 °C.
One annoyance I have with my instant read thermometers is that mis-positioning the tip even a fraction of an inch gives a wildly wrong measurement. We’re working on feeding the data from all of the sensors into an instant read algorithm that will interpolate between them to locate the true core, and give you the instantaneous reading of that location, rather than wherever the tip happens to be. This will probably not be ready for shipping in June, but we’ll get this out as an update as soon as it’s ready.”

1 Like

I used my Meater+ for the first time last night, and while it was quite convenient, I hadn’t yet setup the ‘extender’ function (with another device) so the range limitations were frustrating. I’ve now setup other devices so hopefully this will work better next time. When checking against my Thermapen ONE it seemed pretty accurate.

2 Likes

I exchanged emails with Chris Young several days ago about the status of the Combustion thermometer. And I got the following update email today that went out to everyone who purchased one:

Dear Delightful Cooking Person
As you may know, there’s been a lot of issues with the global supply chain. Most consumer electronics are affected.
We eventually got our allotment of microchips, just in time to get stalled by a government COVID-19 lockdown.
This week we are building our first production-ready Predictive Thermometers.
Next week we’ll be torturing them.
In two weeks–if all goes as planned–we’ll be able to tell you when to expect your order. Ship dates will be later than we intended (but hopefully not by much). You’ll know as soon as we do.
Thanks for your patience. We know you’re hungry to get started.

Update email today:

Dear Abundantly-patient Cooking Person

Bad news from testing. Not 100% bad; but bad enough to screw up ship dates. Your order will now arrive in early August. That’s not what we promised. We apologize for the delay.
New Ship Date: Early August
Most of the production validation tests for the Predictive Thermometer went as smoothly as we could’ve hoped. The electronics performed superbly–gold stars all around. But during lifecycle testing there were some failures during extreme conditions (repeatedly boiled and then shocked in an ice bath). These failures only occurred after dozens of rounds of abuse, and only some devices failed.
We’ve spent the last week bombarding thermometers with x-rays to see inside, and then carefully cracking open the failed devices.
Good news: we found the leak and modified the seal and assembly process. Bad news: we have to revalidate these changes, which will delay the start of mass production to early July and shipping early August.
We want your Predictive Thermometers to last years and years, even under extreme conditions. We won’t ship anything that doesn’t meet our standards and unfortunately, getting it right can take a bit longer. We’re confident it’ll be worth the wait.
Thanks again for your patience.

Another interesting video from Chris Young (part the thermal kinetics of steak cooking and part sales pitch for his new Combustion predictive thermometer). Also jump to the end to see how to enter to win a free thermometer (no connection to me, except I have 2 on order).

Another informative infomercial from Chris Young. BTW, I won last week’s raffle for a new thermometer, which I clearly don’t need, since I already ordered 2 lol.

1 Like

It says it’s BT.

I remember Chris Young saying in an interview that he learned his lesson from the Joule experience that Wifi is more trouble than it is worth (everyone with a different system, clueless customers, yada, yada, yada…). Even though Joule’s wifi reliability is orders of magnitude better than Anova’s (I’ve never had a problem with Joule, and to get my Anova oven connected I had to get a new router).

I don’t see there being a frequent need to have the thermometer hooked up to Wi-Fi. You’ll walk away for hours while grilling a steak?

One of the major uses for this would be for a smoker.

He’s alluded to collaborating with someone to integrate it to control an oven/smoker, but no details on that.

Thar won’t do me any good.

Email I just got says beta-testing units are shipping Monday 11/14/22…

Has anyone received theirs yet. Any thoughts?

Can I actually order one and get it before Christmas

I ordered a couple of weeks ago, but haven’t received anything about shipping. Based on my experience ordering I get the feeling this is a rather inexperienced operation. Take that with a grain of salt if you are likely to get your order by Christmas.

Beta testing shipped 11/14, maybe. Chris Young is experienced, but this is taking a long time.

One of mine arrived a couple of weeks ago, but I haven’t had the chance to use it (been sick).

The beta test version doesn’t have the app yet or predictive capability. There won’t be any reviews on these.