The wine you don't want

Hahahaha. That’s EXACTLY what SQN is - 15% Syrah that Parker ratings shot to the moon…

You may want to check out K&L - they’re more casual as far as auctions go, but they have a few advantages…

• $5 listing fee + 0% seller commission (if you take K&L store credit)
  • low threshold on what qualifies (several bottles of SQN should definitely qualify)
  • you can see what prices bottles have historically sold for.
    K&L Wine Merchants - Past Auction Lots

I’d probably sell to a retailer who has customers for that kind of thing. Anyone who isn’t enthusiastic as soon as you mention it is the wrong place. Even retailers who don’t specialize in this style of wine may be able to easily sell it for top dollar. I don’t know how your return doing that would compare to an auction house, but it’s easy enough to get an auction estimate and find out how much a retailer would pay.

<===

The thought of Counselor drinking SQN makes me chuckle.

I wish I could find my email response when he first made the list. It was such an emotional day.

Flickinger has sold most of my SQN. Good prices and excellent service.

Wow, your cat looks thirstier than David’s cat.

You could send your list of wines to Benchmark, Cellaraiders and many other retailers who buy properly stored wine, and they will give you a quote to buy it outright. I’ve looked at auction results and have felt better selling it directly for a fixed price. But it probably depends on the wine.

I second Vince’s rec for K+L. I did just what you are describing earlier this year with the last of mine and sent them to them. The wines did quite well on their auction. If your value total is over 10k, they only take 10% of your hammer price.

Also echo Vince’s K & L suggestion. I’ve done that about six times in past years, for store credit — it was easy and went well.

Dont you have to pay taxes on wines you sell at auctions? Plus fees for the auction?

Except the “which nobody wants to buy” part. Which is the key in this particular instance. [cheers.gif]

04E2DB4C-0CDF-4797-AD0B-E5DCB2B94043.jpeg

No doubt! Sell!

I imagine that depends on your cost basis.

Everyone sells at or just below market prices on CC. There isn’t any expectation you ought to sell at your cost or anything, including to people you know.

I sold my unwanted SQN at HDH. They will arrange/assemble bull shipments from various regions to simplify the shipping process.

These wines go for a pretty penny on the auction block Neal (most of the time selling for 3-4 times what they are worth). Think of the Bordeaux and Champagne you can replace them with?

That’s why they are going Thomas!

Thanks again to all of you for the advice. I have a list of folks to call on Monday.

I’ve sold wine to Schneiders, but they are in the business of making money obviously. I wouldn’t expect more than 30-50% retail. For really collectible Sin Qua Non, They might give you more, but dont expect what you would get on commerce corner.

Hi everyone and thanks David K for your comments. I’m the new CEO at WineBid and starting to get a little involved in WineBerserkers. We greatly appreciate the community! Happy to take any questions through the link DavidK noted or through our customer service contacts. Not here to pitch or sell anything, just to contribute where possible. newhere