The wine you don't want

Welcome Russ. Love to hear what regions/wines float your personal boat.

No idea but this takes me back to Manfred giving you some sh*t when you first made the list. Thanks for the chuckle. Made we want to post for the first time in a long time.

I’ll second this. I don’t expect people to sell a wine like this on CC at way below what it is priced at out there in the market. Speaking for myself, I wouldn’t expect you to give up large amounts of money just because it is WB. “Fair” doesn’t mean I get a tremendous deal at your expense.

It’s a great theme for an offline ‘the bottles you don’t want to drink, don’t want to part with, and can’t find a way to sell’

I second using winebid.com I’ve bought and sold wine there and the experience is seamless and professional. You will pay 19%, I think, to the auction house, but if you’re wine sells at 3-4x the release price you’ll do well and it won’t keep you awake at night. The auction premium will eat your profits on recent releases, but old stuff (>10 yrs) will net you a pretty penny.

You could also sell them directly to people on this board. I bought and sold wine to people on the RP board back in the day. I would be a buyer of EBA SQN if the price was fair. But it is illegal. You risk having the shipment confiscated. I could cheat you. You could cheat me. Use an auction house or auction site.

I sold a few bottles with K&L and turned them into a number of bottles that I was happier to own.

Not a fan of selling through WineBid for reasons mentioned on another thread. Selling through any auction house generally is also painful as well… charge you 20% commission and buyer pays 30% (including tax)… so 50% goes to the house. As a buyer from WineBid, I think the experience is very good.

I don’t have much wine to sell, but I have seen some retailers send out cellar offers with higher prices than others. I would likely approach two such retailers alongside any auction appraisals.

Thanks Mark, for the kind comments. We try our best to deliver seamless customer experience at great value. In case it helps readers, to set the record straight: seller’s commission declines with the size of the consignment. A $100K cellar/consignment is charged a lower premium than a $10K cellar, much lower than 19%- that’s only for <$10K consignments. Happy to answer any questions directly via PM or through WineBid sellwine page. And as Mark notes, we definitely advocate individuals going through any auction house, even if not ours, rather than selling privately and risking legal and possible sales tax liabilities. Happy buying/selling/trading to all.

Hi Sh@n A, thanks for your kind comments as a buyer on WineBid, we really strive to share the absolute best experience at great value for both buyers and sellers. Sorry if you had a bad experience selling through us or a different auction house- feel free to PM me about it. Not to be pitchy, but to provide some facts- sellers commissions and buyers commissions vary at various auction houses. As mentioned in a prior thread, WineBid seller commission is far less than 20% depending on size of consignment. Buyer commission is only 17%- less than quoted above (although other places may have higher buyer premium). We greatly appreciate all Berserker feedback and take it seriously, here in the forums or through our customer service contacts. Happy tasting and sharing- wine and feedback!

I was in exactly your situation, Neal. I had thought I would like SQNs once they got some age on them and bought quite a few, usually a couple of bottles of each from the late-'90s vintages through the early 2000s. I found I didn’t like them with age on them any more than when they were young.

I chose Benchmark Wine Group as the place to sell. They actually buy them from you, naturally at a price less than what they sell them for, and the yield may be less than putting them on-line with K&L, for instance. But they just send you a check, and also arrange for shipping. Very easy to deal with.

Have done a few sales with winebid, 2 smaller and 1 rather large. They make it easy. The one think I would do different, with a large sale, would be to have the lots staggered out, instead of all the same week.

Hi Anthony, thanks for your kind comments about WineBid. I really like your idea and will take it back to the team. Feel free to ping me via PM or through the WineBid site with other great ideas like this. We really appreciate long-time consigners and buyers, and the overall WineBerserker community.

I had great luck selling a mix of collectable and not so collectible wines to Benchmark. They were very quick with everything from pickup to payment and paid a fair price. Feel free to PM me with your email address and I can intro you to my rep.

Mason

thanks Russ

just to clarify on the buy side

at WB, buyer pays 17% commission, plus tax, plus shipping

cheers

https://www.brentwoodwine.com/

Neal, would you mind sharing the epilogue to this quest?

Also, would any others of you who have sold to Benchmark using the CellarTracker interface please share your experiences? As stated above, I’ve only sold directly to K&L and while the transaction was simple and painless, I have no basis for comparison.

Thanks in advance to all and cheers,

Jeremy

I used the CT interface and completed a mid size transaction with Benchmark. Valuation was about 80% of my cost (including tax and shipping) but really needed to make space. No issues, check arrived within a week of the wine arriving at Benchmark. Would do again, though would send higher value / appreciated bottles to K&L or Winebid for auction.

I will when I reached that point. [wow.gif] I got lots of quotes and have done nothing with them. I really should do that.

champagne.gif

Neal-
I’m in the DC area and depending on how much you’re looking to sell, I may be interested in buying your accumulated SQN. PM me if that’s an option you wish to explore.