The World's finest Chardonnay is from ...

Mike. Should the thread subject be “worlds finest chardonnay you have tasted is from…”? [cheers.gif]

I would vote for d’Auvenay Chevalier-Montrachet, Ramonet Grands Crus from 70s and 80s, Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet from the 70s and early 1980s (especially 79 and 82); Coche Perrières & Corton-Charlemagne, and Jean-Marie Guffens’ Clos des Petits Croux and La Roche from Pouilly-Fuissé. Between those, it would be very hard to choose in a blind tasting.

From California, some of the best releases from Kalin Cellars and a few impossible things to find such as the 1980 Chalone Reserve would have to be part of the conversation.

I still dearly miss the old Chalone.

sorry everyone. the only ones allowed to comment on this thread are the ones who have tasted every chardonnay ever bottled.

or are we just assuming that the valid comments can belong to those that have just tasted the most expensive ones?

how would someone even comment on the finest chardonnay they HAVENT tasted?

1 Like

I’ve had half a dozen d’Auvenay White Burgundies, and they were superb. Unfortunately, they are now out of my reach both from a price and availability standpoint.

On the other hand, I had a 2017 Walter Scott X-Novo a couple of nights ago that was also superb and much more affordable. Frankly, between Walter Scott, Goodfellow, and a few others, there really isn’t any reason to buy white burgundy any more. I’ve had a number of SCM Chards as well, including Mt Eden, Rhys, Ridge, and others. I think they’re excellent, though for my palate they can, at times, be a little heavier than I prefer.

1 Like

Unless, of course, you like white burgundy.

Hummm … just focus on your own perceptions, your own experience.

1 Like

I agree with the Ramonets from the 70’s and 80’s. We had a dinner in LA with Roger Verge as the chef with 82, 83, 84, 85, and 86 Ramonet Montrachets. M. Verge came to our table and prepared a special meal for us. What a night that was!!

Matt, our of curiosity, what’s the best white burgundy you’ve had? In your opinion, not asking about price. Not being snarky, just curious.

1 Like

So you’re favorite, not the world’s finest. Got it, carry on.

Leeuwin Estate Artist Series Chardonnay is right up there for me.

I think ur are trying to be sarcastic. But I actually think your post support what I wrote. [wow.gif] There are no definitive best… because everyone has different experiences.

That aside, I was just joking with Mike. :slight_smile:

Oh and U Can comment on things u don’t have personal experience with based on friends experiences, people you talk to, things you read, etc no?

1 Like

Actually I love white burgundy, and through generous friends, I usually have tastes from one or two bottles of relatively top-end white burgundy (premier cru or better) every week. For my cellar, I don’t like the prices, and I don’t like the premox, and I don’t like the drinking five bottles to find one that has the real sap, cut, and complexity that I’m looking for. I’d rather get those qualities more reliably in something affordable. A good number of burgundy houses have figured this out and are making wine here. Perhaps you need to venture out and try something new.

1 Like

From Montrachet. More specifically, I would probably punt for Ramonet as others have done - but then I’ve had far fewer top wines from Lafon, DRC, Coche Dury and D’Auvenay.

As an aside, great to see William mention Guffens in the list, and as I have posted on other threads, LEAS deserves a very high ranking too.

You have assumed that I haven’t been to Oregon or had Walter Scott or Goodfellow Chardonnays. I’ve drunk both, and own both. I have several times brought Walter Scott as a ringer to dinners, and served some blind to my tasting group a few months back. This would not be a “new experience for me”. They are nice wines, and the 17 X-Novo could be a ringer for a Meursault village. These wines are not, however, white Burgundy. I do not mean this in a tautological sense, I mean that they do not deliver the same experience that white Burgundy delivers. The only reason to not buy white Burgundy is that you do not want to drink white Burgundy.

If you do not believe current white Burgundy prices are reasonable, that is a personal opinion I cannot argue. However, there is still a really good reason to buy white Burgundy - to drink it.

Hard to beat Aubert Lauren.

86 Ramonet Montrachet for me. Haven’t had much d’Auvenay.

I was surprised that no one had mentioned Aubert to this point. Many of my top chardonnay experiences have been with Aubert wines over the years. Now I’m seeking out WB more earnestly, particularly with age.

The finest chardonnay I’ve tasted is likely the 2015 PYCM Corton Charlemagne. Although I recently had the opportunity to try a 2013 Guffens Heynen Saint Veran cuveé unique alongside a 1993 Verget PM Cailleret VV and both were marvelous.

Wm Kelly suggests the Chalone wines of the 80s and 90s and that s a great suggestion.
Mt Eden… yes!
I would suggest that people who like Kalin get to know Au Bon Climat…I enjoyed a magnum of 92 Sanford and Benedict Chardonnay two years ago… mind blowing !

I ve had some sensational Marcassin Chardonnay as well, esp 97

Hoddles Creek in Australia makes one of the best Chardonnay in the world. Best of all, it’s inexpensive and there’s no allocation games to play.

1 Like