Thierry Allemand "Reynard" Cornas 2016

Many Rhone winemakers prefer the 16’s to the 15’s The 16’s are supposed to be more classic in style. I can’t wait to compare.

That’s what they say right before ‘16’s go to market, and every year where it’s not quite as ripe as the one before “more classic/poised/elegant”… Vintage of the Century, just like every year in Bordeaux. Or like every year in Burgundy: small, inconsistent crop but what little was made is of excellent quality.
:wink:

FWIW, I have preferred quite a few 16s over their 15 counterparts. The 15 vintage is pretty large-scaled.

I wish Juge had held on for one more year.

C Fu is the only person I know to post notes on this wine. SommSelect had some bottles of 15 but the price was to high for a wine I never had. My only chance to try this wine is if someone shares. If 2015 was truly the last vintage its price will skyrocket like Domaine Gentaz Dervieux.

2015 Juge was its last year. I’m pretty sure I posted a note on this site. Solid, but 2013, 2011 and 2010 better, with 2014 being no slouch.

Same. Could be that they’re drinking better young, but I have generally liked the balance on the 16s a lot more.

I know I did.

Quite a few notes on CT as well

Higher acid, less big fruit.

speaking of… what’s the future of Allemand ? I had heard he was retiring soon. Then I hear he’s going to start releasing a reserve. Doesn’t sound like a guy who is retiring.

Adrian,
A suggestion: buy 2011 Alain Verset (nephew of Noel) Cornas for under $50 and forget about that new Ferrari. ‘Stuff is the shit.
Best, Jim

Yes. Love that stuff. Honest and soulful.

Funny. Brought a mag of 12 Allemand Reynard to dinner the other night and the host was insisting that Alain Verset was just as good.

Nick,
“Just as good” is pretty subjective but the Verset is really good - give it a try if you haven’t already.
Best, Jim

As I recall, said he was going to retire after he went through a difficult divorce. But that was some years back now.

I tried an earlier Alain Verset which was middling (have to look at notes for the year, before 2010). Sounds like he’s making better Cornas now and perhaps channeling his inner uncle. Good to hear!

Ditto here. I think the 2004 and 2005? Neither inspired me to be a buyer but he’s had plenty of time to improve since then.

Could be hard to retire, financially, after one of those!

He has now re-married, his son (who is doing / did some work experience with Jean-Louis Have) is taking a fresh interest in the domaine, and he seems newly optimistic. So hopefully he will make a bunch more vintages.

Guys,
I just tried the 2014 Alain Verset, Cornas and it was only fair.
The one that was wonderful was the 2011.
Best, Jim