Thierry Allemand "Reynard" Cornas 2016

Thanks for the wine suggestion Jim. Are you back in Sonoma, or still in Florida? Its been a long time since Rhone for Rednecks.

Cheers, Adrian

I think Jim needs to go on another cross-country tour. He’s been living far too long in warm states.

Adrian,
FL until June and then back to the left coast. Come see us - either place.
Warm is nice.
Best, jim

According to John Livingstone-Learmonth Thierry had enough barrels to bottle roughly four barrels of 1908-09 ex Louis Verset vineyard on Reynards and 1920’s ex Noel Verset vineyards on Reynards in 2015 and 2016 separately from the classic Reynard. It replaces the Sans Soufre and is made in a masculine style.

I haven’t seen this wine for sale at retail, but I think I need a bottle each lol. Hope it doesn’t cost too much. Jamet Cote Brune 2015 set me back $375.00 a bottle.

I actually saw eight bottle of 2016 Gonon SJ Rouge today priced at $60.00 each. So if you bought four more bottles of something else you would get a 10% discount to make it $54.00. Alas I spent this months wine budget buying Allemand.

I liked the 2010 a lot. Seemed very classic when I tried it (and bought it) maybe four years ago.

Cheapest local (Kermit import) 2016 Allemand I found “was” $250 for the Reynard and $220 for the Chaillot. That is “if” you can get an allocation…

$250 doesn’t sound too bad given where some prices have been.

Has anyone noticed that absolutely every Cornas, St. Joseph and Cote Rotie from any producer young or old is “classic” “traditional” and “old school”?

Other than LaLa’s and maybe Chave Hermitage, and some well known producers who basically don’t have to work too hard to sell their wines, the exact same litany of adjectives is and has been bandied about. I cannot tell the difference based on descriptors between Allemand and Clape and Gonon, Levet, Jamet, Juge, Alain Verset, Souhaut, Billon, Jasmin, Lionnat, Stephane, becheras, Balthazar, , Darnaud, Faurie, Faury, Gilles, Gerard, Souzet, Nodin, Etc. Are they all the same wine? That’s just the shortlist of what I’ce Been offered I. 15/16…

Except Vincent Paris, who seems to use nearly the same wine making methods as above.

I’ll add Alain Voge to that list of modern cornas. You can list most of these producers are “classic” but there are different levels of excellence even in the classic camp.

It is if the 2015 pricing form that same retailer was $190 the year before…

In San Francisco (Kermit Lynch) the Reynard sold from $255-$299 and the Chaillot sold from $220-$239. I also picked up a 2016 Reynard 1.5 liter for $575.00. I was able to get one bottle of 2016 Reynard from New Jersey for $229.00. That being said, one New York retailer called me offering the Reynard at $380.00 a bottle, I passed. Is Wine bow really that much higher than Kermit Lynch to justify such a high price? Locally I bought everything I could knowing prices are not going to get any better in the future.

I find the descriptive use of floral pastille flavors, indian spice, asian spice, spice cake, fruit cake and star anise used on all of those wines. Description wise you would think Clape, Domaine Courbis and Allemand tasted similar. They are three very distinctive wines.