Thoughts on Buying and Consuming BURGUNDY

They don’t call Burgundy a “minefield” for nothing! [cheers.gif]

Burgundy is like Quantum Mechanics. To quote Feynman:

“If you think you understand Quantum Mechanics, you don’t understand Quantum Mechanics.”

I’ve had some older Lignier 1er cru VV - you’ll be just fine. :slight_smile:

How about buying a couple of bottles of Bourgogne Rouge by Arlaud or Mercury by Faiveley or a village wine by either and open the bottles. See if you can find a 2012 or 2014 so that the wine has a bit of age to it but still are reflective of what the wineries are doing today. On both wineries, if you go back too many years, you start getting the wines of the fathers rather than of the current people and I think in both cases the current family members running things are better. I have a very close friend who is friends with Cyprien Arlaud and while he has liked wines from the domaine for a number of years, he is particularly high on the more recent vintages.

I would not load up too much on any one producer right now until you know what you like more, but sure buy some bottles of the grand crus you are interested in. Maybe mix up the grand crus a bit to try their wines from different villages. Faiveley is both a major land owner and a negociant. You probably will reduce your risk if you buy a wine from a vineyard where they own the vines. A good retailer should be able to tell you which is which.

As for vintages, for the Grand Crus, I think 2014 and 2015 are lower risk than are 2013s. I have not tasted too many 2013s, but the 2013s I have had tend to be tannic, which makes it less clear as to drinking windows.

Thanks Howard. I’ve been picking up a few Bourgogne Rouge or village for 2015 and 2016, including those by Arlaud, Faiveley, Duroche, Meo, C. Dugat, Camus and 1-2 others. In retrospect, I should have looked for 2012s… but frankly it was difficult to get some 2015s and 2016s given I am new to the retail game, so I ended up buying 2015-16s when I saw them… vs. being smarter and trying to seek out 2012s. This is probably what I regret most in order-of-operations… should have bought a horizontal of Bourgognes as a first step to tasting. Re Arlaud and Faiveley, I have done exactly that (aided/informed by folks on the WB board who have posted recently and in past). And lastly, I have picked up a few other horizontals… e.g. LSG, Gouge vs. Chevillon, others. Need to set up some more WB events…

Don’t skip Hudelot-Noellat.

Am going to hit them at Paulee. But maybe should pick up a 2016 Bourgogne now to add to the future horizontal.

This was extremely helpful. What I hoped for in this post was just what you wrote, a look into the perspective of someone who has had lots of experience making these decisions on what to buy and when it’s worth it and when it’s not. Of course this will be different for everyone depending on the variables you mentioned, but it helps to hear what other people have done and how it worked for them. The point about deciding how much a great wine experience, or the possibility of one is worth is very thought provoking. Also, the example of the case of premier crus vs the single “ethereal” bottle was a very enlightening. I do find that the critics flowery language push me in the direction of going for that one bottle, hoping for an amazing experience, when maybe I should instead go for a few bottles of the really good bottle that’ll still be great. I don’t have so much experience tasting the difference in quality between aged grand cru and premier cru and comparing it to their prices, so I must go based on what the critics have said and how I know grand cru bottles should age. I do sometimes wonder how the price difference between them correlates with the quality of the drinking experience.
Robert, thank you so much again for the valuable insights!

I would suggest buying every wine produced in Burgundy in every vintage, wait 15 years, and sell everything you don’t like.

That is taking the concept to the extreme, but taking concepts to the extreme is a valid test of underlying logic. In this case, I think the statement is logical… just impractical. There must be at least one whale out there somewhere, doing exactly this?

1 Like

For 30 years I have been buying Burgundy, at least 90% of which I never tasted before I bought it. I did not have the ability to travel to Burgundy every year before buying, nor the access to any kind of industry tastings, etc. I also thought it worthwhile to purchase the wines mainly as prearrivals, both for better pricing and just to be able to access wines that were likely to be in greater demand and may not be available to buy later except at much higher orices if at all. I therefore relied upon the reviews as mentioned earlier…early on only Tanzer, later adding the others mentioned. I also backfilled vintages as wines occasionally became available at decent pricing. Later on I was able to taste some examples of a vintage to get a better idea of whether the vintage was to my liking, but of course still well over 90% of what I bought was bought untasted.

Buying after tasting is always better if you have the ability to do so, but there are not many of us who do…unless you really limit your purchases to wines that are more readily available…and in Burgundy, depending upon your market area, that can be VERY limiting.

So remember, I am not saying anything against buying wines that you have not tasted…in Burgundy that can be a very expensive and, as mentioned, limiting endeavor depending upon your access and location and resources. Nor anything against the thought that wines you don’t like years later can be sold. I am just saying that the idea of trading in Burgundy like one would trade stocks, or hoping to buy Burgundy and sell later to capture profits that can be reinvested in Burgundy, treating Burgundy like investment capital, strikes me as somewhat bizarre.

1 Like

I think a lot of what was considered bizarre is now the new normal, everywhere. [swoon.gif]

I think my percentage of buying Burgundy without tasting is closer to 100%, not counting producers that I’ve had in the past and have a feel for the wines.

Yeah, me too. I was being generous when I said at least 90%. I think it closer to 99.9% for me too.

My approach to Burgundy is as follows:

1. Buy a cheap mixed lot at auction of a bunch of producers I’ve never heard of.
  2. Taste them and find the best one
  3. Look for further examples from that producer to taste across their range
  4. Find out their cheapest bottling is $300 a bottle
  5. Cry in a corner for a bit
1 Like

My thoughts on buying and consuming Burgundy is that you can save yourself a lot of heartache and regret if you buy Cru Bojo instead. I am dead serious. I have bought a fair amount of Burgs over the years and continue to cellar quite a bit. In terms of sheer drinking pleasure, the cost to experience ratio favors Cru Bojo significantly. The flavor profiles are similar but different, sure. And yes, that one in fifty orgasmic blow-your-mind experience will only come from Burgundy. But at such a high cost! It aint worth it. A very wise man, Bertrand Russell I believe said, "To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.”

What is the percentage of Burgundies you are buying from producers you have never tasted before. Sure, most of us have to buy wines we have not tasted. But, if you like a producer from other vintages, doesn’t that help your odds a great deal? If not, would you consider it useful to buy and open a less expensive bottle from a producer whose Burgundies you have not tasted before (say a Bourgogne rouge) before committing serious money to buying a bunch of grand crus from the producer?

Everyone has their own taste preferences but I would rather have a Bourgogne Rouge from a producer like Hudelot-Noellat or Henri Jouan than almost all Cru Beaujolais I have had. You do not have to agree with me, but I don’t think Beaujolais (including Cru Beaujolais) and Burgundy taste that much alike.

Yes Howard, Gamay and pinot noir are different. Who woulda thunk? But when pinot does not hit the mark, it is flacid or green or leathery/flat. It has to be spot-on to shine. I am drinking a $30 bottle of '16 Sunier Fleurie right now and it is all you could want-vibrant, intriguing, crisp but fruity, no leather, no lack of verve (which is what I mean by “flacid”), it is 100% fun. It is similar to Burgundy but different. And for the price, better. IMHO of course.

I think this is a purely personal perspective. To me, drinking Bojo instead of burgundy to scratch a similar itch would be no different than drinking Condrieu instead of Cornas because they’re close to each other.