Tissue Wrap Preference and a Question

Didn’t mean no disrespect, I think people were just having a little fun with the topic. I think you have a point in what you asked, but still thought some of the remarks were funny but didn’t think they were mean spirited. Hope this doesn’t persuade you from participating in this community.

Bonus points if you were on the clock too.

True, true and I want it. I suppose it’s just like wood boxes. Those just getting started in buying higher ends wines can get excited about the first few purchases that come in those sexy things, but I also know some places you can opt of getting your wine in them for the same price because people have too many hanging around. I only have a few producers that wrap their bottles, so it’s not a pain for me yet. But Buccella uses a thick wax coated paper that takes a beating, but is a struggle to see through to see what is what.

I think I would be considered the second a**hole to jump in, after nearly falling off my chair laughing at the post, even before I saw Chris Seiber’s post.

No unkindness or disrespect intended. I can see that tissue wrapping could make keeping track of ones wines difficult.

Still, the question was pretty hilarious – like some parody the Hosemaster might dream up. As they say, definitely a First World problem.

I think we should develop strict standards as to type of paper, thickness of paper, color of paper, moisture resistance, and stickiness resistance. Otherwise, it’s all chaos…

Bruce

That violates my first amendment rights.

I wonder what such humorless people are doing on Wine BERSERKERS? [scratch.gif] [berserker.gif]

Given the time to wrap it, the extra 2-3 seconds to put on the sticker is nothing and will not lead to extra costs. The choice to wrap it is the big cost and likely happen well after bottling and at the time of shipment in any event.

Another issue we agree on. This and Pastrami.

Are you ITB?

OMG !
I’d better re-think this then !

No kidding. I don’t think we could have been any nicer and less critical about it. Maybe this isn’t the place for Adam.

Nope but I know how long it would take me to take a sticker off a roll and put it on a bottle. In fact, for my SQNs which I leave the tissue on, I have made my own little vintage stickers to apply to bottles and once I have written them and cut them, it takes no time at all to affix them to the bottle… I would do it with all my wrapped bottles but it takes such a long time to make the stickers in the first place by hand I don’t.

As the OP, the question was not asked in jest…just looking for assistance. Thank you to those that responded…as well as to those that PMed to express their disbelief re the number of a**holes on the WB board that contribute nothing.

That’s not fair at all. Chris nailed it.

It’s like asking what the thickness of a bubble wrap on a set of ear buds is. It’s true that someone had to spec it out but it’s really going to the next level for the consumer to care about the wrapping!

Most people ITB hate tissue. It may look nice when it arrives (not always) but the customer picks up a bottle and it slips out of the tissue and you just took a loss. So retailers remove it.

When you get wine shipped in a styro container, it mashes up the tissue.

It’s generally something to throw out. The people who joked about it weren’t nasty in any way, but seriously man, lighten up.

Why not put the tissue on yourself? On every bottle? You can write the name on a ribbon and do it like this lady does - less than 10 seconds a bottle once you have the ribbons made and the tissue sized. Get the family involved - one person writing the name of the wine and the score, another getting the paper ready, and another putting them back into the rack in the appropriate spot.

Reminds me of Eddie Murphy, Raw, in his MJ impression, “Tito, get me some tissue”.

God I love this skit. And the best part, apropos to this thread, “Greg . . . I mean Germain . . . Quit teasing”.

I just ripped the wrapping off of a Jamet in protest.

:wink:

As the OP, the question was not asked in jest…just looking for assistance. Thank you to those that responded…as well as to those that PMed to express their disbelief re the number of a**holes on the WB board that contribute nothing.

I thought this thread was going to be wayyyyyyyyyy more mean than it is, but the fact there are any real responses is shocking (but heartening).

All these posts and no one posted a picture? Sorry, no banana for scale, but here’s the color of their wrap. The nice thing is that it is thin enough that you can actually see what the wine label says behind it. I, like OP, wish more wineries would include a sticker on the outside of the wrap with the name/vintage!

Al…Thank you for the helpful post…this is what I need to know to help me find the bottles I misplaced.

Kind of “straw” colored I notice… strawman

Wine wrapped in tissue paper is above my pay grade.

Although IIRC, Turley came wrapped in tissue paper. Turned out it was above my octane grade.