TN: 08 Taittinger CdC

Had the '07 last night, followed by the '08. The '07 was very pleasant, the '08 blew it off the table. What a wine! Power with precision.

Yes the CDC was spectacular. At roughly half the price of the Cristal there’s no question about which to buy. If they were the same price I’d buy more of the Cristal though.

knew you’d love it.

Thanks Alan.

This is a pretty terrific bottle of CdC. My fav since the '95 at a similar time frame post release. Maybe the '96 is in the scrum there as well.

Here’s my note from November:

Bright fruit, chalk, subtle toast, white florals on the nose. Chalky and chiseled on the palate with a fine bead and a sense of intensity with simultaneous lightness. The dosage is less evident than in the 06 or 07 and this has a level of detail that is well beyond these two most recent bottlings. This has crystalline purity and tremendous depth coupled with incredible focus and an effortless sense power without weight. A tremendous BdB. Chevalier Montrachet with bubbles. Youthful, with incredible promise. 97+

Now I just need to not drink mine too soon.

1 Like

I wonder. Since it’s this good, maybe drink more. It reminds me of 1990 w all the creaminess and that one lost the cream as it aged, becoming less interesting. I’m going to keep drinking it young. 13 years older is not infanticide.

Thanks Alan. I don’t need much arm twisting on that one, so thanks for the nudge.

Hope all is well with you.

Best,

T

You talked me into, Alan. We haven’t touched ours yet, but sounds very much like a good one to check on young.

Saw some at plcb for 199

I’ve never purchased anything at PLCB except to make cocktails. I know there are sometimes deals, but I never see them.

I’m not sure 199 is a deal per se, but it’s definitely there.

I was not referring to the Comtes, only saying that I don’t shop at the PLCB despite the fact that sometimes they have good pricing in order to head off at the pass the inevitable comments about “sometimes they have good pricing.”

I don’t know what you paid for 2008 Cristal, but I paid $199.

Back in Nov 2019 I posted a PSA here and people were able to jump on it for $125/bttle for Taittinger cdc. So approximately 250 for cristal is understandable. Lowest I paid for 08 cristal was $169 though.

My recollection of 1990 from the first few years after release is of an exuberant rich wine that was delicious but lacked the structure of the 2008.

I never aged the 1990 though. For a while a store in NYC was blowing out its inventory for $50, which was a no brainer even in 1999. I would be curious how a bottle from the Taittinger cellar is doing. I had the suspicion that a lot of the 1990 coming into NYC at least was a little cooked or at least not treated with the care that is expected today.

While you pay quite a lot for Burg across the pond, you really get good price on top Champagne. Too expensive around here and I curtail my purchase…

I paid $200 for 08 Cristal last year. Now up to $240. Still not near double the best price I’ve seen for 08 CdC, which is just under $200.

Followed through this evening. This is very, VERY, good champagne in a style I love. Wow. Wow. I have two cases, and it’s not nearly enough.

A bunch of ppl including me bought a bunch of 08 cdc from whwc for $125.

glad you loved it. It’s really an amazing bottle. I need more also . . .

What is CDC?