TN: 08 Taittinger CdC

What this thread is about.

2008 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut

I just didn’t know the acronym CDC. Thought it was a place that the 08 Taittinger was bought.

whwc (Woodland Hills Wine Company) is the store. It was, I assume, a one-off deal. Woodland pre-offered it long before it was released at a price that was, reading the tea leaves, well below wholesale cost. Either they got a sweetheart deal themselves somehow or they lost their shirt. It’s available there currently at $200.

Copy thanks for the info!

the most exquisite handwringing: debating $10 in the cost of reliably magnificent tête de cuvée, vintage champagne. $10 doesn’t get a skinny person past the Wendy’s drive-thru window.

There sure has been a lot of fuzzy math in his thread!

Here are my thoughts:

• 2008 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (6/12/2021)
    Opened after dinner based on recent reports that it is showing well young. Served on the colder side and allowed to warm in the glass (GGGs), drank over about 2 hours. I swear I could smell the wine as JR was pouring it into the glasses as he sat at the other end of the couch. Just phenomenal, powerful and compelling nose, citrus driven, some floral elements, fresh baked pastry crust brushed with butter, maybe a little honey. It might as well have been a perfect lemon bar from the nose. On the palate the concentration is off the charts, amazing, firmly coilled but softly not tight. Like a perfect little package of cat when they tuck in all paws, head and tail. Plenty of taught acidity keeping everything firmly in place, reverberates across the tongue. There’s still a good amount of baby fat, as one would expect, that I expect will retreat and reveal more delineation. I believe this was the best young CdCs I’ve had, and perhaps the best young champagne period, though that’s less certain. I think this could have the bones and the beauty to give the great 1995 a run for its money in time, and that is my favorite vintage of my lifetime. Gorgeous and exciting and deeply, deeply satisfying. Great wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

I’m not sure you can really say a crazy one off deal that was probably a computer or human error is the “going price”. Maybe using some combination of sale + cash back + coupon you can get a bottle or two for $150 or something or maybe even $125, but other than that, it’s basically a $200 wine.

Okay, Sarah, I’m persuaded. I’m going to get a test bottle.

1 Like

Not necessarily saying that’s the going price but it certainly colors my opinion of the price because some of us got a LOT of 08 cdc from that sale.

matters for a 2 case purchase.

it matters when you want two more cases.

Even I thought so, and I’m not traditionally someone who “gets” CDC. I liked your 2005 too, though.

Indeed. Or 5 or 10…