TN: 1989 La Lagune, Haut Medoc

TN: 1989 La Lagune, Haut Medoc. I have had this estate before, of course, but it’s not one I sample on a regular basis. Wow, there is a LOT of fruit still present on the nose and gooshing across the palate - at least a surprising amount to me. Lovely. Likely majority Cab based on location, but the tasting suggests to me there’s a lot of Merlot in the blend. A bit of wood tannin clamp down at the end but nothing to complain about. If I had a qualm, it would be that there is a bit stewiness in the fruit on the finish and perhaps the oak treatment was more than I would prefer. Or maybe picked a bit too late? Who the heck knows – not me – but the wine is a lovely, solid drink more than ready to be consumed. 90 points.

6 Likes

I’ve always loved the 1989, consumed many bottles. The 1990 is also good, but I preferred the '89. According to Wikipedia, the estate is planted 60% to Cabernet and 20% to Merlot, but the blend probably varies year to year.

I had the general impression that the 90 Margaux AOC and southern Medocs were a bit deeper than the 89’s. But it’s been a very long time since any of these have graced my glasses.