TN: 2001 Trimbach – Cuvee Frederic Emile

Nicos,

Aside from celebrating 375 years in business (1626-2001), I have to assume that the “375” was a special selection of some sort if only to distinguish it from the regular 2001 FE, but I don’t know any details; perhaps others here can help with some information. Mine didn’t strike me as particularly late harvest, but, as I said, that bottle was a bit quiet when I opened it.

The 375th anniversary cuvee is just from Osterberg where CFE is normally a blend of Gaisberg and Osterberg. Or I could have that reversed. I never quite remember which way it is, but I think it’s Osterberg. The story is in the archives here 40 or 50 times.

Thanks David & Frank.

By the way, i had the 375 anniversary bottling about six weeks ago and it was spectacular.

I opened one about a month ago. “Spectacular” may not do it justice.

Looks like I should have bought a bottle or two of the 375…

It’s still around (at least it is by me).

Opened a bottle of the regular '01 CFE last night. Incredibly good - really pure, focused, vividly minerally though still quite youthful.

Mine are hanging in there right now.
Wishing for the best here.

Love those Albert Mann bottlings too.

There was a major distributor dump however on these 2001 CFEs at $25 for a 750ml.
Couldn’t pass that up several years ago.

A little pre-Super Bowl tipple…

2001 Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile - France, Alsace, Alsace AOC (2/3/2013)
I opened this to check on the condition of a bottle, after reading of less that positive experiences. Well this is indeed a positive experience! Loads of lemons and crushed stones dominate the wine, and the backbone is virtually unyielding. It’s delicious in a masochistic way - expressing the innermost depths of riesling’s cutting nature. Drink now if you enjoy having cold cutlery run across your chest, or hold if you prefer something a little less adventurous from your wine.

While the 375 may be a little better than the CFE, I cannot imagine liking one and disliking the other. Clearly from the same winery.

Great buy.

Given the two bottles that I have tried and disappointed with both, at current prices I will be restocking with more German Riesling. [cheers.gif]

It’s important to know what you like.

Nicos - were both of your bottles recent purchases? Provenance?

And didn’t we share a stunning bottle of the 1998 CFE a few years back at Rotisserie Jules?

David,
Both bottles purchased from a wine merchant (can’t remember which one) several years ago. They have been in my cellar since then.

It was a pleasure to dine with you in London at Rotisserie Jules. I look forward to the next one. :slight_smile:

[scratch.gif] I have a single 1.5 of the regular CFE from '01 and was recently wondering when to open it. This isn’t helping.

Based on the bottle of the 750 (and Salil seemed to have a similar experience) I would say that you have no worry with your mag.

Do you typically like CFE? And at what age?

The wine is very shut down in 750 - wouldn 't touch a mag for years.