TN: 2001 Trimbach – Cuvee Frederic Emile

I would think that the CFE 01 is a fine keeper. In addition to the 2001, I have a couple of the 375th anniversary bottles, made with some fruit that was picked a bit later, one of which I drank upon release and which was delicious and substantial, with excellent acidity as well as richness, but a baby. Will probably wait until the 20 year mark before opening the first of the two remaining bottles. Anyone here have any recent experience with that anniversary edition?

Indeed, the '01 is shut down right now. But it’s a great CFE and the 375 edition is spectacular indeed.

As for comparison with Albert Mann, no offense intended, but Trimbach and Mann are very different in style and I really cannot compare them the slightest. It does not mean Mann does not produce awesome wines, but the residual sugar left in them and the more opulent style make it so different that the preference of one over another can only be related to a preference in style.

I’ve had a few, Alan has had a few cases, I think…

I will leave mine also, but they are hard to resist!

The early oxidation recorded in this thread is mostly confined to half-bottles. There is always some risk of a flaw due to poor handling, cork taint, or some freak biological event in the bottle, but 750s and mags from this vintage should continue to develop in bottle for a long time. It would be a shame to open a magnum any time soon.

Not so sure 2004 is an equally long keeper, though; it seemed thinner than usual to me for this cuvee.

Speaking of other vintages, the 2002 CFE has been flat out gorgeous the last two times I have tried over the course of the last year+.

Not recent, but Panos (and Michael), you may recall that we had the wine a year and a half ago in Alsace at dinner. Excellent wine, but IMHO not so much better than the regular CFE to warrant paying double the price of that wine.

Michael, I am not sure if you are describing my post or someone else’s, but I completely agree with you. I love both Trimbach and Mann wines, but they are quite different. However, someone, like Nicos, who does not like Trimbach because it was too austere might like Mann better, pretty much for the reasons you state.

The best CFE I’ve had was the '76 at 20 years. But I also recently enjoyed the 2005. I’ve never had a bottle I didn’t like.

I tend to agree with your last sentence. That being said, I think the 2001 is too young, and I would think that would be esp. true from magnum, but I would not worry about it. It will be outstanding with age.

Exactly, Howard, my comment was with regards to Nicos’ preference for Mann, which I can understand but wanted to clarify as being a preference for the style more than for the quality of the wine. The austere and dry Trimbach wines are unlike many others produced in Alsace (though there are exceptions, Loew comes to mind). They are, however, among my favourite wines in the region and CFE, apart from the 2006 which I find rather dull, is a wine that I buy all the time.

Also agree with David. The CFE 2002 is amazing.

I find that Paul Blanck also heads in that direction, but their wines are not as austere as Trimbach. I know that a lot of people find the variety of styles of wines from Alsace to be confusing, but I kind of like the fact that not all wines taste alike.

I must admit I am somewhat conservative in the producers I buy, in large part because I probably drink 10 bottles of German riesling for every bottle of riesling from Alsace I drink, but really like the ones I drink.

The variety of styles and how riesling is sensitive to how it’s made and grown makes it the most interesting white grape variety for me.

I am certainly not going to enter any discussion about comparing Alsace and German style because the rules to make the wines are different to start with, especially for the late harvest examples. But as a matter of fact, I also drink more German riesling than Alsace riesling…

This thread really points out to me the limitations of scores in evaluating wines. Trimbach makes great wines in a fairly unique understated way. Some people love the wines. Others do not like the style and are much better served by other producers. Each is a very legitimate view - no right or wrong here. How does one capture this in a number?

Howard, I only believe in the scoring system once brought to me by Alan Weinberg.
0 : not worth drinking
1: worth drinking

Mike, I like that! I will call soon so I can drink some of the great wines you have that are certainly very much worth drinking :slight_smile:))))

[thumbs-up.gif]

Very true, but I recent '02 was drinking very well, though lacking the precision, cut and guts of the '01.

'02 CFE have been drinking consistently well since on release.

I opened one of my two remaining bottles on Sunday and it was just like yours; fully awake but still young, with years of positive development ahead of it… Vivid, bright, rich but dry in the house style. A very good bottle.

From what I can tell, Michael, your cellar is full of 1s. [cheers.gif]