TN: 2004 Krug

This is a very interesting thread (because of the lack of consensus). Thanks for starting, Michael!

It’s important to be able to put one’s thoughts out (especially on AAA wines) with honesty. We can only taste what we taste. Very fascinating to see the divergence.

There wasn’t that much consensus among the 4 drinkers here either, but I think the votes were:

2008 Cristal 1 1 2 2
2008 Dom 1 1 3 2
2004 Krug 3 3 2 3

The 04 is far and away my favorite Krug of the 2000’s, and would need to go back to the ‘96 to find one that was significantly better. YMMV

I’ve had all three the past week and rank them 2008 Cristal first, 2004 Krug second, and 2008 Dom third, which order of preference has been consistent in my experience. While I generally don’t decant Champagne, all of them benefited from an hour or more in decanter.

Thanks for the TN. I have stocked up on 08 Dom and 08 Cristal (albeit less so) and have zero 04 Krug. Sounds like I’m not missing anything!

Very interesting. I would rank them 02 > 00 > 06 > 03 >>> 04. I like the 96 but have had good and not so good bottles.

Judging by your tasting notes generally Michael, this would be consistent, while I’d have them mostly reversed. I suspect I like acidity a lot more than you do, which also explains why I like the 04 Krug.

I haven’t had these side by side. The interesting and validating thing about this thread are the wide range of opinions. These wines are very different.

That probably makes sense. I do feel that the 08 Cristal has good acidity but it has more fruit to back it up, at least to my palate.

I like 04 way more than you do. But I also really like 00.

Yeah I thought the 00 was fantastic.

I LOVE 2000 Krug…been getting better and better since I first had in 2012. Very balanced with subtle complexities…still quite bright with energized cut…very Krug…richness with truffled brioche and dried honey…well integrated lees.

Yes, I can understand that - my comment wasn’t in any way negative. Personally I’d rank them as 96-2004-2000-2002/3.

I really love Krug 2004! Drank it about 10 times and always delivered. Love it above the 2002 and much better than DP 08.

Interesting how the tide has turned (or at least those that don’t like it are more vocal) on 08 Dom? What a mistake Krug made not making an 08!

08 Dom isn’t as open it was shortly after release. It’s a superb champagne that will age well. I don’t think many people would argue with it being the best Dom since 96 or earlier. I’ll keep purchasing it as I find deals on it going forward. Pricing has increased to some degree, though.

I’m more interested that so many people like the 04 Krug. I’ll probably gift away the remainder of my bottles. It was borderline undrinkable the other day.

Aligns closely with my rankings for krug as well, although I would place the ‘02 and ‘98 in front of the ‘00 and ‘03.

This thread prompted me to see what I had and whether I wanted to back fill. Very surprised to see pretty much every recent vintage of krug offered at or below the original release price I paid.

I had the 2004 Krug about 8 weeks ago and did not love it that evening. Saved about 1 very large glass in the bottle (with a Champagne stopper) and had it the next day at lunch. It was the best wine I have had a lunch in years. Based on my experience (and a sample size of 1 is reliable, right?), I don’t plan to open another for at least another 5 years.