TN: 2006 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Kimberly's (USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County)

Wow, I had a 2006 Kimberly’s Syrah (my first Cabot) last night, and what a wine! I have never had a wine with such intense bacon flavors. Smokey, salty, fatty, meaty. But with some nice dark fruits to balance it out. A full meal in a glass! The bacon flavors faded a bit over time, but the wine remained quite pleasurable. Looking forward to finishing it off tonight.

I guess I’ll be needing to sign up to the list, I’m hooked!

Is the “bacon” flavor commonly present in the 2006 a trait of this producer and vineyard which regularly occurs in most vintages, or just a uncommon occurrence specifically from the 2006 vintage?

In my experience, it was 2006 alone that had the massive bacon component. Other vintages have had hints of it now and again, but nothing like '06

Agree with Todd, jerky and general smoke meats but not the crazy spot on bacon fat.

Here’s a recent thread on bacon fat. Where's the bacon? Has oak pushed the traditional aromas out of the N. Rhone? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I am so happy that you made this post. I will drink them first and post full reviews of them. I love this forum.

Thanks for the thread link – quite informative and I missed it the first time around.
This will be interesting to try, as I am typically very adverse to any hint of brett.

They put bacon flavor in everything these days!

Even alarm clocks, I found out today!

• 2006 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Kimberly’s - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (8/23/2016)
    Dark ruby with a funky nose of barnyard. Dry tannins offset by a good acid and fruit balance. The fruit is really fresh for a 10 year wine, quite retrained over years past with a tartness that makes this Pinot lover quite pleased. While I was expecting a bacon fat, complex fruit forward wine from many past tastings, this bottle says I should have waited. This is one hellava good bottle of wine. Good work John. Only got one left. Oh well, got a bunch of '10s. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

We had a 06 Klamath Cuvee recently that was stunning.

Wow, blast from the past thread - Time flies. I actually had (what I think was) my last bottle of 06 Kimberlys a month or so ago - it was very very good. What a pleasure to watch this wine evolve over the years. I’m hoping my inventory skills are no good and I find a magic bottle sometime in the future.

A wonderful wine. Sadly I drank all Mine some time ago. Wish I could find more.

That '10 Humbolt Syrah is pretty darn good. I’ve been thinking about emailing if any more is available, but I do not want to be greedy and I have too much wine as it is. [cheers.gif]

Had our last bottle of the “One Barrel” version of this wine. Still had all the great dark fruit, tar/asphalt and bacon fat characteristics, but the age had integrated them into a well rounded treat that was enjoyed during a concert seeing Jeff Beck and Buddy Guy. My last bottle of that one, but still have one bottle of the Kimberly’s in stock of the 14 purchased.

Man…I ‘lost’ my last bottle of ‘Bacon Fat’/One Barrel, sadly.

I sure loved those '06 era Cabot Syrahs - every single year I tasted them, too.

Todd, still have the '07 bottles. I’ll bring a Kimberly the next time we get together. I know the wives have been trying to organize it.