TN: 2007 Domaine La Garrigue Côtes du Rhône Cuvée Romaine

Brian,

A conservative estimate on my part is a good 5 years. I’ll TRY (operative word here) to hide a few bottles away just to see.

And I would think it will go longer. Quality CdR’s can last for 10 from good vintages no sweat.

Sadly, I am almost at the end of my case and am wondering the same thing. Sounds like I need to reload and squirrel some away.

I got to taste it back in March & immediately bought a case from PJ’s. Delicious stuff.

I have bought almost every vintage since 2001, but have never aged one for more than a year. Anyone have experience with older bottles of this? I have 8 bottles left of the '07 calling my name-- perhaps I should move them out of sight?

This is one of those wines where if you like it the way it is you should just drink it. Looking for some mystical “peak” time to drink it is searching for a false grail.

The only reason the 5 years is useful is that it means you don’t have to drink a big stash in a hurry - good news for those (like me) who rarely drink the same bottling more than every 6 months or so.

Let me rain on the parade here regarding this particular vintage of the Domaine La Garrigue Côtes du Rhône Cuvée Romaine. All of my bottles opened since this summer have shown a “spritz” as if they had carbonated soda mixed in with them. I opened another tonight and . . . down the drain, as it’s gotten worse over the last four months. I’ve got perhaps 8 bottles left and I suspect they’re all a total loss. Good thing it was cheap - about $10 at Applejack in Denver. Also a good thing I drank so many early. But on this wine it’s “Buyer Beware!”

I just checked in with Cellartracker and many, many similar complaints being posted. Bummer.

I ran into this last week with a bottle. Have four more. [suicide.gif]

Terry, I am getting the same thing. I was a bit late to the game but after reading all the great reviews I went for a couple of cases.

The first bottle tasted was fantastic, and agreed with the 91 review. After that they slowly did not impress as much, but I blamed it on fatigue, and that could be true.

When I opened the 2nd box, I started to get the fizz thing which is definitely a turn-off.

Every bottle after that has showed the same. I’ve actually given most of the bottles away. The wine may lose the fizz like some Rieslings do, but somehow the fun is out.

Yup something went very wrong here. I had a case of this last December and very happily drank about half of them within the first month before thinking that I’d better save a few. When I revisited them about a two months ago I got that slight spritz and damaged (I don’t know how else to say it) aromas and flavors. Non-wine geeks might not mind so if you have any, I recommend giving them away selectively. You must guard your reputation.

I haven’t had the wine since May. Now I’m afraid to even try one of my 6 remaining bottles. [cry.gif]

Just noticed the resurrection of this thread. We finished our last two bottles around Halloween. Both spritzed up and volatile. Really nasty.
3 good/3 bad out of 6.

For those of you who have some understanding of what takes place in the bottle, can this wine recover with time?

Trying to burn through mine now that the secondary fermentation issues have come to light. My previous bottle to this one was excellent FWIW.

Posted from CellarTracker

headbang

I think I have two left to roll the dice with.

Guess this wine just wasn’t meant to last more than a year or two. Opened my two last bottles last night. Tart, green, medicinal, undrinkable. No signs of spritz, just bad bad bad juice. What a roller-coaster ride it’s been!

Had a couple bottles last weekend that were superb.Good to be Irish I guess [drinkers.gif]

I had one bottle of this that was great. Then a case that was not. (From fizzy-bad to mediocre to ok.) on the balance i got what i paid for, or a little less.

Spritz is a bad sign- Either the wine didn’t finish malolactic fermentation or there is enough residual sugar that it is refermenting- possibly brett. In both cases the refermentation is likely to produce lots of off aromas and flavors as well as acedic acid= not good. This will likely only get worse over time. Bummer. hitsfan

I bought a case as well and have experienced the same mixed results as others. I’ve had a few that didn’t have any spritz, but came off as heat damaged. It’s possible these were subjected to some heat on the boat over and thus would kick off brett and or start the refermentation process- what ever the culprit may be.

FYI, I bought some of the 08 recently, which is as good as the 07 was upon a release. Still a great value for current consumption. But I won’t be testing its ageability!

The funny thing was that so many of us had these mixed results from the same lot bought at the same store (PJ’s).

just popped an 07. nasty, nasty. syrupy, hot. tastes like robitussin