TN- 2007 XIX Cabernet Sauvignon by Keyshawn Johnson

Thank you Keyshawn. I’m looking forward to trying the 08 version!

Tom

dang. i’m one person too late =(. I’m in if it doesn’t work out! Would love to try a bottle. That Chinese market flirtysmile

Don’t feel bad Charlie. And, since we’re talking about the Chinese wine market, if I get the bottle I’ll drink it, re-fill with a combination of Smoking Loon and grape koolaid, recork it with a STEAKHOUSE RED synthetic cork, glue the foil back on, and sell it to you at a discount…say, $87.50?

Hey, I was in this thread early! Keyshawn, can’t you source a couple more to get a bigger sample size of tasters?

Damn, missed the cutoff!

Keyshawn, if your looking to get some exposure in the Chicago market, let me know.

Very cool thing to do. Post notes!

Charlie,

I have another bottle and will invite you to taste it with us when we open it. Likely soon.

I received a bottle today, decanted it…

CORKED!!!

D’oh!

Keyshawn, how do you think your Cab would pair with Mark Schlereth’s green chile?

Just kidding . . . . I did a double take when I saw Schlereth’s mug on the green chile at Whole Foods. The only thing more surprising would have been Steven A. Smith tamales and Mark May carne adovada.

Just Gimme the Damned Wine!! I bet I’m the only one here to have seen Key play at SC and to have gone to Reign back in its day.
And here I figured this thread would be another pile-on to a celebrity wine.
Forget Dallas, you should do a tasting/event here in LA. How 'bout Post & Beam, right between the old stomping grounds of Dorsey and SC?
Actually I just thought of a fun them tasting for us to do. Let’s do a celeb or even athlete involved wine throw-down. I’d do it at my house. We could see if Charles Woodson’s cab can pick off Key’s There’s also Bledsoe, Hoage, Montana, Marino, Vermeil, Carmen Policy. Ernie Els, Seaver, Arnie. I think most of that genre used to be pretty mediocre (ala Marilyn Merlot) but now it does seem like quite a few are by people who actually love wine and have an input rather than just lending a name.

P.S. Keyshawn, if you ever talk to Gary V. from Wine Library who sells your wine, yank his chain by asking him what he thought of the Jets drafting Sanchez. You can still probably find a clip of him at the draft in the crowd. While your at it can you do anything to get Kiffin to throw the ball down the field with guys like Woods and Lee.

John, I not only watched Keyshawn play at USC, I was a student at USC at the same time [snort.gif]

Nice note, any points? [cheers.gif]

Sure, only this point: Don’t drink corked wine.

But did you try that chicken at Reign?

Todd I figured you more for Seau-era :slight_smile:
So both of you guys were their in the “dark-days”. IIRC not a win against UCLA or The Irish neener
Want some trivia: Name the two SC players to be picked overall #1 and make it to the Super Bowl?

how exactly does a cork bottle happen? this is my first one-sorry Todd. My winemaker said its actually the cork some kinda effect. could someone tell me what exactly makes a bottle cork? is this people error or just a luck of the draw?
K.

after football season is over i want to do some tastings with the 2007 XIX, LA, Dallas, Chicago, NY lets do it.

There are plenty who can answer in a far more detailed way than I can, but essentially ‘corked’ is short for ‘cork taint’, because the flaw - the smell of ‘corked’ wine - is TCA, and the presumption is that TCA gets into wine via a tainted cork. Happens all the time, and can happen to one bottle out of thousands, or an entire run - it’s all about the taint, whether isolated or not.

I’m sure the winemaker has a grasp on it and there is certainly lots of info on the 'net re. TCA. With a current release wine it could be the cork or it can be plenty of other things. IIRC TCA can spring up with the combination of chlorinated compounds and cellolose. Plenty of times it can happen and spread in barrels, drains, pallets, boxes,hoses. etc. I would say that just as often it’s a a matter of “cleanliness” in the production. BV had an alleged widespread issue with TCA in their wines a number of years back.
If there aren’t repeated instances, it’s much less likely to be a systemic issue and more likely to be a cork. If there are but a few corked bottles, it might be worth checking if the supplier has an issue, but otherwise some are just going to happen. That’s part of the reason that even some fine wine producers, like Loring and a bunch of Aussies have gone to screwcap.
If you didn’t know it Key, corked wines happen with all sorts of types and producers, usually as a small percentage of bottles, and more likely with older wines (due to improved practices). Personally, I think I have some sort of curse, but would guess I get a corked wine in 1 of 12 wines I open. Also note that some people are much more sensitive to TCA than others. Also, experienced drinkers like most of us here are able to recognize the hallmarks of TCA in a wine others might think is just “not good”. Typically that wet cardboard character, and muted aroma or fruit.

And some drinkers are wildly more sensitive to TCA in their wine than others. I seem to be about in the middle based upon experience.

TCA = 2,4,6-trichloroanisole