TN: 2008 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC

Blake, reading your notes makes me glad I bought 2008 PP Chetillons back a few years ago…I just wish I could go back & buy 6 more.

Yes, that’s a big miss on my part as I’m a big fan of this champagne and all other releases from PP. Good move Kirk. In fact, your post stimulates me to do some seeking. Thanks

I think there are still a few places that have the 2012…stock up, that’s a lovely wine!!

yeah, I missed 08 also so I grabbed some 12.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just got some.

I’m coming in late to this thread. Firstly, a “Ha!” and a “thanks” to Blake. I knew he’d come through, pop an '08 Comte and share the note. I’ve been waiting but didn’t have to wait long!
Big thanks to Brad. It was interesting to read the breakdown of Pinot Noir, Meunier, and Chardonnay quality in various vintages.
Since we’ve drifted to PP Chetillons, I opened an '08 in August that was beautiful already, but really seems like it needed another 5-10 years behind bars or on racks. I bought a bit of the 2012, although Brad says both '08 and '12 are stronger for Pinot than Chardonnay.
I’ve bought some, but probably not enough 2013 PP Chetillons. I’ve heard 2013 was a strong vintage in the Côte des Blancs, . Maybe Brad can opine and confirm or refute.
Another thank you to Brad for confirming my recent 2002 Ruinart BdB reload was actually BdB; the label only said “Brut”, and was different from other labels I’d seen.
Now we’re really thread drifting, but at least drifting to other BdB’s.
Cheers,
Warren

Consider shots fired! [berserker.gif]

I, too, have followed the chiseled, concentrated 2008 Comtes from before release, and I cannot think of any metric of quality by which it doesn’t surpass the rather open-knit, facile 2010 Dom Pérignon—even allowing for the fact that they are very different styles, blends, and vintages.

The acid test, of course, will be in a decade, so let’s put it to the test. I will supply the Taittinger but you’ll have to bring the Dom Pérignon.

Juxtaposing this and your initial, much more positive, appraisal also makes for something of a contrast!

The brioche that you are waiting for is a Maillard reaction derivative that will take a little time to appear as the wine ages on cork and digests its dosage. I do agree with Brad that it might have been a better strategy to let this age on cork longer, instead of leaving it on the lees longer, before release. Earlier disgorged trial bottles show those characteristics. But I think you should have faith in your initial impression, which I took to be that this is a concentrated, intense, serious wine that will take a little bit of time to realize all its potential.

William,

Agreed on the ‘Duel in a Decade’! It will be fun to drink both. Don’t get me wrong the 2008 Comtes BdB is a darn good wine, but I feel it has lost something and it leaves me scratching my head. I can understand a top 2008 showing tight, closed, or powerfully unexpressive with plenty of coiled up potential, but that isn’t the case with this wine. It comes across as lacking in precision and shows a bit aloof. No top 2008 wine should show this character IMO. The dosage has had plenty of time (a year) to marry after disgorgement so I don’t think it is a case of the wine being muddled due to integration issues, but it could be. Early pre-release samples didn’t have a problem with the dosage marrying with the wine in six months or slightly less.

As for preferring the 2010 DP to the 2008 Comtes, my palate in general tends to favor Pinot and Chardonnay blends more than a single varietal. Top Blanc de Blancs with age though are a thing of beauty. Amazingly, I actually find the 2010 DP to be the more complex and interesting wine. It changes and evolves beautifully with something new to be found in each sip. I never expected to hear myself saying that and my wife disagrees with me on my preference, but she prefers Chardonnay and doesn’t really enjoy Champagnes that are richer in expression as the 2010 DP is.

Some great input from Warren, William and Brad and re the taste off, I’m in on that one too. A box of 10` Dom arrived 3 days ago. As per my MO, I’ll just have to open one soon after some rest time.

Re the first impression of the 08` CdC to the one 48 hours later, I had the thought that if I was ever to decant a champagne, this might be one to do. Yes, William, I’m holding on to the first go round observations, but was actually startled at what 2 days after showed with only a splash left in the bottle. It was truly a dichotomy.

As stated by Warren and others, I’m so grateful for Brad`s delineation of vintages re the Pinot Noir/ Chardonnay harvest. It’s so helpful in not only understanding vintage differences with the same house, but making better informed buying decisions.

Next up: 10` DP

The happiness and most thankful of all Thanksgivings to you all.

Ok, so I ordered a bottle from wine.com ($160) to try and brunch today was a good calling. Absolutely no question this is top notch stuff. Bright on the attack but quickly some slight toast, butter and sense of richness notes emerge to balance the Bright acid here. Still leans towards acid but you can tell the stuffing is in here to be revealed.

Imo…for value It’s probably not here as it just doesn’t scream $80 better than some of he wines we all praise for just under $100. Yes it’s great and I’d think will age wonderfully so I’m going to buy just a couple more to hold on to in the hope that in 10-15 years it will show that omething extra.

Bump

1 Like

I’ll respond to the bump just to say, I’m still, very atypically, holding off before revisiting the 08. There is so many other youngsters that are more ready to shine, as example, the 10 Dom last night was really good and yes, it still can benefit with some more time, but it was the WOTN amongst some other heavy hitters.

I am so happy to hear this as your thought. I am going to buy way…way too much 2019 Champagne.

Anyone had this lately? Should I open my 1 bottle on New Years Eve?

I`m taking a bottle as a backup to a 1996 Salon for my birthday next Monday. If the Salon is not good, I’ll get back with some updated notes.

Personally I think it’s not remotely ready, but it’s a large production wine - you can always get more.

I had both ‘08 and ‘06 Comtes last weekend and the ‘06 came out on top. I have had some outstanding bottles of ‘08 (one time it bested an ‘08 Cristal) and others just very good. The ‘06 has consistently been exceptional, you can’t go wrong with it.

I’m glad my palate sucks because it found the 08 Taittinger CdC to be absolutely beautiful and incredible the 4 times I’ve tried it.

2 Likes

Given the price increase on the 2008, I was hoping not to like it. I failed.

1 Like