TN: 2009 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard

Unless the tanks were bottled independently but the finished bottles mixed in stock.

typically wines coming off of bottling lines are put directly in the same cases and taped up. But again, I have no idea of their bottling protocol.

Alan,
That’s a good question as storage temperature plays an important role. Our cave is 58F and we have seen some problematic bottles. I have not seen a bad bottles stored below 52F (ie my cellar).

Regarding the tracking questions, given they way we pack boxes the various lots can be mixed. Additionally, Brett varies by bottle so it is very possible for bottles from the same case to show completely differently. One might be fine while another is problematic.
Fortunately because we have direct relationship with all of our customers, we can refund/replace any bottle that people are not happy with.

That is just terrific customer service, and it illustrates a benefit of having a relationship with a winery like Rhys. I have five bottles of this wine, haven’t opened any yet, but it’s very nice to know that I don’t have to rush to open them and see if they are faulty (and hopefully, of course, they will not be).

On the other hand, it’s good to have this information; for example, I might be more likely to pick the 09 FF to drink at home rather than bring it to a restaurant, so I can easily pull something else if there is a substantial problem with the bottle or if it needs extended aeration to blow off.

Thanks again for your candor and for your policy on this, Kevin.

Well said Chris

opened a bottle , no sign of Bret , appears pristine, great wine, I hope the remainig 5 plus mag are the same.

Brett blows off with extended aeration? Certainly not in my experience.

Doesn’t it sometimes? I will defer to people with more ability to differentiate between the different kinds of off odors that sometimes are front-loaded into a newly opened bottle.

Well…have the cellar issues been fixed that led to such variability? Hoping so, but once brett is at a property, it can taint other vintages (think back to the old ‘Cordier funk’). There have been numerous wineries around the world where brett becomes part of the landscape of making wine. I think a little can add complexity, but the problem lies in controlling the exposure and once out of the winery, heat during transport or storage usually causes it to worsen.

Huge +1.

And, to be honest, I’m actually hoping for some mild brett in my bottles.

More likely it was reduction, which often seems to go away with time in a decanter. That is, if you don’t have an old copper penny or silver spoon handy…

The one guaranteed thing about this situation is that Kevin will make good on any flawed bottles. Superior customer service.

Spoken like a true beer drinker. neener

Actually wondering this as well…I’ve been pretty much led to believe that once brett is present in a winery, it is present, or can be present, until eliminated. No? Just curious now that the subject has come up.

Bob and Markus,
Managing Brett is a constant job at any winery (that wants to control the level of Brett in their wines). It is never permanent nor is it ever gone forever. Instead it is something that can be eliminated and will always return eventually. Because managing Brett is difficult and unpredictable, many wines (at least in the New World) are sterile filtered.

The '09 Family Farm that I’m now drinking has a wee touch of Brett, and I’m no fan of Brett, but it is so slight that it hardly detracts. It mingles among the minerally nuances on the finish like a glisten of coital sweat. This wine is sensual, graceful, and generous… a joy to drink. Family Farm is often less muscular than some of the Rhys crus, and I’m totally A-OK with that. I love it for its charm and feminine grace.

Great note Lewis. I missed seeing your posts for awhile.

What can I say? I like the funk! newhere [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Thanks, Scott. I’ve been off the board for a few months, but I see from the 2004 Burg threads that nothing has changed, LOL.