TN: 2010 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux - WOW WOW

This is what I keep saying, all three of the cuvees have merit. We just cannot default to saying the so-called flagship cuvee, Croix Boissee, is the best of the three. I think it is vintage-specific. I say the same thing, for example, about the Joguet cuvees, and since we have shared this wine before, Levet. Levet’s La Chave and Les Journaries are two distinct wines, each has merit, and Les J is often the better wine, IMHO. I have as much of the Les Journaries as the La Chav. I think Guillot is excellent in 2015, on release I enjoyed checking in on it more that Grezeaux and Boissee, and actually doubled-down.

I think I have heard of that Salil character. :wink:

People should be aware that, although Nathan is a very knowledgeable taster and his experience of Baudry is several orders of magnitude greater than mine, he also tends to like his wine, at least for my money, on the younger side. If I had an 05 Grezeauz, I would by all means taste it, to see how it’s doing, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find that I found it more a point than Nathan did. On the other hand, since I don’t have the wine, this is only slightly grounded speculation, so I also wouldn’t be surprised to find that he was right.

Sounds amazing. So is Croix Boissee.

My note on the 2010 Croix Boissee from 4 years ago:

Sometimes even a dumb squirrel gets a nut. I said try the Grezeaux in 2020. I’ll pull the 2010 Guillot from storage when I can a chance to go out there. Won’t touch my Croix Boissee yet, though.

I’ll have to check a bottle out - the last time I tried it (Sept. 2018) I was underwhelmed.

Then again, I was not raised in an outhouse in the Loire, so I may be at a disadvantage in appreciating this wine.

Oh no doubt, your refined palate is phucked here! :wink:

Thank you.

Happy Wednesday Bob! I trust all is well.

Most recent bottle of 2010 Croix-Boissée.

2010 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon La Croix Boissée - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (2/8/2019)
WOW! What a sculpted, intense, perfectly crystalline nose. The purity of fruit and minerals is staggering. Not really anywhere near ready or open. The palate is quite firm and strict though it opens somewhat on day 2. The fruit is so deep and intense, but is that an illusion of the structure which drives and carries it? It’s hard to know what the future holds, but my guess is that this will be thrilling when it comes out of its shell. This seems like Phase III of this wine. There was Phase I which lasted through 2002 showing the potential. Then there was Phase II starting in 2003 when the shift in climate had a dramatic effect on the Loire and Matthieu was taking over. I think that Phase III started in the late 2000s when they started to come to grips with the new climate reality and gained in confidence. I’ve been saying this for more than a decade, but it bears repeating, this is the cheapest “great wine” in the world. It really is challenging Rougeard (although they are different stylistically), and I don’t think that is hyperbole. Considering you can get a case for the cost of a bottle of Bourg, well, figure it out. (92 pts.)

Most recent bottles of 2005 Croix-Boissée. Handling the vintage better than Grézeaux, IMO.
2005 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon La Croix Boissée - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (11/23/2019)
Not as explosive as the last bottle, but really intense depth and lift. You really get the sense of the site, the wine reeks of limestone. (93 pts.)

2005 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon La Croix Boissée - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (8/9/2019)
Thank you, Jesus! This wine is finally getting there. While the Grézeaux can seem a little overwhelmed by the vintage, the Croix Boissée is not. Everything you want in a Croix Boissée, great fruit, mineral tension, complexity and the tannins are finally starting to calm down. (94 pts.)

And here are some 2008 notes that show that producer and site are more important than vintage reputation.
2008 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon La Croix Boissée - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (10/20/2019)
This magnum was a wedding gift from Matthieu. I’ve never seen a magnum of Croix Boissée before (and I’ve tried to talk him into bottling some) so it was a great pleasure to share with my out-of-town guests. I don’t think that 2008 was a particularly advantageous vintage in the central Loire but this is certainly an excellent wine, as Matthieu seems to be able to do no matter the year. What jumps out is that classic red fruit on limestone nose that is so classic to Croix Boissée in the same way that the dark earth note is to Grézeaux. Not fully resolved, but resolved enough that the tannin support the wine rather than control it. Fantastic with the duck where the protein and fat are enough to melt the structure and I just taste the dish and the fruit of the wine. Of course there are the purple flowers and some herbal notes but it is mostly the crunchy red fruit and limestone. Bravo and thank you, Matthieu. (93 pts.)

2008 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon La Croix Boissée - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (10/1/2018)
Beautiful ruby color with no bricking. Ripe cherries on the nose peak through a bed of leafy earth while underneath it all is a strong line of chalk that is the signature of this site for me. Really cool, linear flavors. Tannin is mostly resolved with just enough of a structural frame to hang the fruit. Sharp acidity that lifts the fruit which comes out more with air. After about an hour, it is all bright cherry and minerals with a touch of herbs and flowers. Really excellent and in a great spot right now. This is not considered a good vintage in Chinon, but goes to show what a great site and vigneron mean to a wine. (93 pts.)

I don’t have a recent note on 2010 Guillot, but here’s the 2009:
2009 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Le Clos Guillot - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (9/23/2019)
Still a deep, dark wine. Notes of dark earth and graphite surround the dark cherry and plum notes with maybe even a bit of black currant. This isn’t to say that this is a fruity wine, but it is well fruited enough to support all of the other herb and soil tones. The fine tannins are persistent and have a calcaire quality to them. I’ve said this before, I am really seeing the Baudry’s vision for this site and why Matthieu was so excited about it back in the early 2000s. Really coming into its own and a worthy companion, though different, to the Coix-Boissée. (93 pts.)

1 Like

Won’t touch my Croix Boissee yet, though.

It really was fabulous a few months ago. Blew away a good bottle 2012 Rougeard Clos.

Inspired by this thread, we had 2009 Clos Guillot and Croix Boissée last night. No “official” notes yet but both were spectacular. So interesting to taste the different limestone expressions of these sites. The Guillot was the rounder and more resolved of the two while the Croix Boissée gained more with air and was both deeper and more precise. The purity of fruit and the signature minerality of the Croix Boissée was stunning. For me, these are both in a fabulous drinking window and the Croix Boissée may even continue to improve while the Clos Guillot I think is probably just about at plateau.

Ok you guys are killin me, will pop a 2010 Croix Boissee this weekend.

Nathan any comments on the 2018 line-up?

Reports of the vintage from folks on the ground were highly positive but I haven’t tasted anything, sorry. My buying plan is the same as usual, although I may back off quantities a little bit just from space constraints.

Personally, I’d love a report on 2006 which has been an up and down ride. Sometimes it was electric and then went into a funk. I only have one bottle left, so waiting for someone else to report back…

Thanks for sharing, Robert.

Good news is I have two of these. The bad news is I only have two of these.

It is right now in terrific shape. Like WOW WOW WOW

• 2009 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (6/15/2020)
    This is in a great place. While the color has lost a bit of sheen, the wine is otherwise still pretty youthful. Tons of red and black berry fruit, a powerful earthy note, a little ballpoint ink, some mild licorice, and a bit of cab franc leafiness. Arguably, there’s a faint touch of barnyard far in the background. Very juicy, with a medium-long finish showcasing plenty of acidity. An exuberant wine. Still a bit of tannin, but pretty soft. Drink or hold, you’ll be happy either way.

Posted from CellarTracker

If the 2018 Domaine and Les Grange were any indication, the rest of the lineup will be ridiculously good when released.

I was told the Croix Boissée 2018 will only be released early next year. Always one year later than the other wines. Correct?