TN: 2010 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux - WOW WOW

That’s my understanding. Here’s what I tasted at the winery in June 2019 (all reds):

2018 Domaine
2017 Domaine
2018 Les Granges
2017 Les Grezeaux
2006 Les Grezeaux (not a typo :slight_smile: )
2016 Le Clos Guillot
2016 La Croix Boissee
2015 La Croix Boissee

It was a fantastic visit, to say the least.

We had 2007 VCC and 2014 Croix Boissee last weekend and everybody preferred the latter
Both young and delicious
20200613_174529.jpg

That note sounds exactly like what I want to be drinking, even on a hot day!

Popped the 2005 Les Grezeaux this week, and while I enjoyed it, it was not at the level of the 2010, which sorta surprised me. I expected that more time and the 2005 vintage, it would be comparable or better. While I appreciated the power and dark profile of this Chinon, from an admittedly big vintage, it also had a dryness to it that causes me concern over whether the tannins outlive the fruit. If you have some, give it a try to see if it accelerates your drinking window on this wine.

So 2005 as a vintage in France continues to confound me at times. We have all been lead to believe from most of the critics that this vintage is the sh*t - one of the best vintages of the last few decades - but in my experience, there are both winners and losers. The alcohol is high and the tannins are coarse, on many wines. And of course, many still require considerable time.

A36470F8-C912-4E39-8130-38D22CA341F3.jpeg

I can’t recall last time I had Grezeaux but 2005 Croix Boisée a couple years ago was grumpy still. Seemed like it needed a few more years.

I’m also not inclined to ever think tannins outlast fruit. And I doubt it’s the case here.

I still think 2004 has a slight edge on 2005 in Chinon and Bourgeuil. We will see. Seems like youngish days still for a couple structured vintages.

Popped a bottle this weekend out of curiosity.

It is indeed a very pretty, clean and engaging Chinon. It’d also improve with more age IMHO. Took at least 3 hours to begin to unwind and release its layers of interest. I loved this in 2014 at the Chambers/Dressner tasting and bought a handful. Just about as elegant and balanced as Loire Cab Franc gets.

RT

1 Like

Dup

Yup, 2014 slays!

Good to know! I was referring to 2010. First tasted it in 2014.

RT

Anybody have any thoughts on how the 2019 vintage looks for this producer?

I’ve already gone through two bottles of the 2019 Le Domaine and it’s a great medium weight wine.

The 2018 Le Clos Guillot I opened last night on the other hand is a huge chewy wine.

Older thread, but drinking a bottle now. A “wow” value for me. ($22 pretax from WDC using codes). Was expecting this to be full of blackberry/blueberry/pomegranate based on some notes that this wine is showing the heat of the vintage - but wanted to take a chance anyways. Not the case for me, at least based on this bottle. Full on tart red cherry juice on the palate with a touch of celery stalk and dry tobacco. Lacks some of the classic ashy Chinon texture, but instead has an almost electric acidity profile layered with that uber fresh, pure tart cherry that gives it incredible verve. When served cooler, it shows a layer of horse blanket and just a touch of pyrazine/green bell pepper on the nose. A good core of black cherry shows with time, but transitions back to the tart cherry in the mid palate. Really lovely stuff. Primary at the moment, but I think there’s just a lot here.

No idea where this will go in time, but I imagine it could be quite impressive in a few years time.

That’s the ‘domaine’ bottling?

1 Like

2019 Baudry “Les Grezeaux” - not the standard Chinon bottling. I used the WDC $20 off $50 coupon and was able to pair the Baudry with a Beaujolais to make the effective price $22. Worth every bit of $30+ though.

I agree on the 2019 Grézeaux. Good wine. I think it is clear that it is from a warmer vintage, but it manages to stay fresh with its acidity profile.

1 Like

Cannot speak to Chinon and am not opening any of my 2005 Bordeauxs yet, but lower level 2005 Burgundies are starting to get really good. Have enjoyed over the last couple of months 2005 Rossignol-Trapet GC, Bouchard Beaune du Chateau, Truchot Morey St. Denis (quite young but still really good), Chapelle Santenay Gravières and Pavelot Savigny-lès-Beaune.

2 Likes

Opened another. Needed some barnyard after an over-ripe wine shut me down! Gosh this stuff is gorgeous. Have a 2005 on queue, ready to pop it!

3 Likes

Have a '06 in queue. Any thoughts?

Not nearly as friendly a vintage as 2010.

Envoyer just offered the 2020 vintage for $25.99.