TN: 2012 Becklyn Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

A interesting comparison would be the Becklyn vs the Bevan Ontogeny, both are at the same price point

Can’t do that, Steve. The Bevan is composed with at least a large part if not all CF. The Becklyn is all CS. I have had Ontogeny a few times and find it not to my liking. I think it is created to fill a hole of an affordable alternative to Bevan’ better wines. Russell is a friend so I hope he does not hold that against me, and I have actually told him that in person. Being a big fan of his premiere lineup buys me and my honesty a pass, I hope.
The Becklyn might be one of Mike’s best wines yet. Or at least top few.

Wow - great note - Thanks Mike!
I can’t believe so many seem to have Pobega’d(if that is the correct verb) the Becklyn
I just received mine yesterday!
Gonna let them rest awhile… but very excited!

Cheers
Rip

Lest you worry unduly about impacting your friendship, I suppose Russell may take some solace in his 2012 Ontogeny having gotten a 99 from Parker a few days ago – not bad for his more affordable and highest production alternative (and couldn’t happen to a more deserving guy). [cheers.gif]

Nice. I feel the sting. Deserved it too. :slight_smile:

Becklyn is not like Ontogeny. Better? [snort.gif]

Different [cheers.gif]. I do remember from the Bevan dinner that your not a Ontogeny fan

All that said, Steve G., you would really like this wine.

I do really like it. Another wine I was able to try because of you at the CLONYC Mike Smith dinner. Gotta love those CLONYC wine maker dinners! [welldone.gif]

lol. It’s all a blur to me. Cheers!

I am so confused. I thought King Cab was now the Prince of Pinot! Why are we having this discussion? :slight_smile:

Two hats, one’s purple and the other…less so. :slight_smile:

We opened one for dinner tonight, and immediately notice the big nose on this one. It’s now in the decanter but from pnp it just singing.

(And if you ran out of your stock, I saw it on winebid for $125, and someone already put a purchase… 2012 Becklyn Red Wine, Cabernet Sauvignon | WineBid )

That’s insane!

I second the insanity

Why insanity? I think it’s the best wine I had this year. Also the wine got unanimous praise on this board, so buying a sold out wine at twice its release price is not outrageous at all.

Thanks Otto

I wonder if a call to Blicker will find any left at $90??

Not a bad idea. Amber and I only have 4 ourselves, maybe he does but I’m not sure.

Let there be no mistakes, we are in full agreement and confirmation of the quality of the wine (and there is a nearly empty bottle here to prove it flirtysmile )
That said, I was surprised to see how fast people started playing with the market demand on winebid.

Hi, I’m happy I have few more to enjoy for years to come (though I may finish them faster. It literally opened up a brand new tasting and nose layer after two hours in the decanter… WOW. Tasting notes will follow, but all I can say is simply- WOW )

wow is correct, sir. Up there with RM Panek for one of my favorites.