TN: 2012 Becklyn Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

Didn’t the same thing happen with Hobel when they came out? Their bottles were selling for a pretty high amount in winebid and that fizzled out.

But, I would venture to guess that $125 for this wine also has something to do with the fact that their nice pretty purple bottle is prominently featured in the middle on the Cali Cab banner ad when you go to WineBids site. That’s my thought… Also, it was also there last week and no one purchased, someone bit this week. Kudos to the seller!

I bought my full allocation and will gladly let them sit in my cellar for a while before popping. Not the Sauv Blanc though… I’ll pop one of those at thanksgiving.

Given the great notes on this wine I am bummed that I only bought 2

It appears BP might have some

The economist in me won’t let this slide…this isn’t an example of economies of scale. hitsfan

Sorry Nolan, my bad… I was thinking about one thing and writing something else.

The last glass today was so tasteful. All in, nice long finish. Next bottle- in a year

I am elated I joined this list and purchased what I could, quite bummed my allocation was limited to two Cab’s. We just popped the 2012 Cab and I think it’s dynamite.

This is very smooth with little to no tannins to my palate. We will be pairing this with a ribeye shortly and I feel as I could just sit on the patio enjoying the nice cool break of weather in South Florida and enjoy this all night long. This will be purchased again.

Nice, David. I think a lot of 2012 Napa Cabs are going to fall (be opened) early - they are enticing and perhaps somewhat exotic in the bouquet. Not a wide sample size here, but indicators are such…

Can’t think of a better match than a nice ribeye.

Had this wine over the weekend with a ribeye

Not sure how long it takes to start closing down but thats what i tasted, it was reserved with layers of fruit and tannins there but well hidden and not being given up at all.

These need to go away for a few years i think, im a great fan of drinking young but for this bottle it was a mistake.

As a side note i have been seeing this a lot with 12’s ive opened a Booker Fracture eba abd Denner Syrah and found both shut down the Booker brutally, so much it was unpleasantly tannic. A further anamoly was the 12 james berry which showed really well with great fruit and a lovely velvet mouthfeel thar for me is a Saxum trademark

So it’s not one to have now? It quickly entered a closed phase?

Todd

Thats what it seemed like to me, im not an expert on cabs though. It was good just seemed like it was hiding everything

Todd, did you purchase any of these?

I have a whopping single bottle, so I don’t want to drink it when it is not representative of the wine, as it sounds like it will sell out in seconds for the next vintage release also

I have one slated for Christmas. I’ll check in afterwards with my thoughts.

Mike I’m a newbie, so perhaps you can satisfy a curiosity I’ve had for quite some time. Based on what I’ve highlighted in your above post, we as a wine community seem to reflexively measure the greatness of a wine by its age worthiness. It would appear on the surface we’re either conscientiously or unconsciously comparing or benchmarking Napa Cabs to Bordeaux’s. Such comparisons seem odd when one considers the circumstances of wine making are so entirely different between the two regions. Based on what I’ve been able to glean, depending on the year, Bordeaux juice when it first enters the bottle is way out of balance (very high acidity and tannins) and requires years if not decades to reach drinkable maturity, again owing to conditions such as sun exposure, harvest times, Brix levels etc. Whereas, Napa wines can reach full drinkable potential much more quickly, due to the generally advantageous growing conditions.

I realize these are sweeping generalities, but at the 20K view, am I missing something? pileon

All valid points, Dave. Was there a further question?
I am in no way qualified to compare Bordeaux to Napa cab, and in this thread specifically Becklyn Cab, but I am sure many differences exists.
20K view? You on a plane? :slight_smile:

No further question. I’ve enjoyed this thread and reading your notes about Becklyn. I look forward to purchasing one of their Cabs in the future. [cheers.gif]

Opened my first one yesterday, and I didn’t think it was closed at all. I don’t know what I was expecting, but it was better than I would have guessed. Considering over the weekend I went to a wine fest that had just about every conceivable Napa Cult Wine - Levy McClellan, Shafer Hilliside, Hobel, Yao Ming, Mascot, Continuum, Bond, Scarecrow, Hundred Acre, Harlan, Colgin, Tusk, Futo…- the Becklyn can definitely hold its own, and in most cases, outperformed the big boys. Then you consider that it was $60 on release…oh man!

At any rate, this data point didn’t suggest that the wine is closed down at all. If it was, I’d like to taste it when it isn’t closed down.

Jay very kind comments. Mike and I are grateful.

Keep up the good work. I was very impressed with the wine, and this is coming from a self professed francophile.

wow, one for the US.

:slight_smile: