TN: 2012 Emrich-Schönleber Monzinger Halenberg Riesling Großes Gewächs

Thanks, A. Ulli Stein offers some insight into why certain Mosel Rieslings have a sponti stink.

Erich Weber says that the low pH values of Riesling from slate can accentuate sulphide off-flavors, or Böckser.

That´s correct. For example the 13s of Schäfer-Fröhlich had low pH level, so the Stinker/Böckser notes were quite high in the 2013 Felseneck GG for example.

A glass of wine evokes a lot of senses. You can very seldom pinpoit the exactly root cause/chemical reason for any of the evokes senses.
I prefer to label this particular feature/flavor in the SF wines as sponti.
Back to Schonleber Halenberg. Roumor says it is majestic in 2015. We will soon see [cheers.gif]

AJ Adam is a very talented young wine producer who reclaimed the Dhroner Hofberg and has done a great job with it. I am less familiar with his GGs, but he is a very legit producer and definitely worth a shot in general. As for 2010, it is a variable vintage marked by very high acidity, and mosel GGs in my opinion are more hit and miss in general, so in this vintage it could be challenging.

My son’s name is Halen so this wine is a sentimental favorite. I visited with both Tim at S-F and Frank at E-S last year. Both were wonderful and generous hosts, and as mentioned upstream, very knowledgable and very passionate winemakers. I would also say that of the GG’s we tried from across the M-S-R, those of the Nahe were consistently superior to those of the Saar and the middle mosel. I think these two are some of the best GG producers out there. That said, I wish there was more Halenberg still made with RS, as thats the style of riesling i personally prefer - and which im more confident in their ability to age 20, 30 etc years.