TN: 2012 Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet 1er Clos de la Boudriotte

Edit - I just now realized that this thread is the “Clos” and the Noel bottling I posted is just 1er Boudriotte. So, now - William Kelly- what is the difference?

Dennis,
Same exact wine as Boudriottes under the other label. Noel and his brother did this for inheritance tax purposes if my understanding is correct. Clos de la Boudriottes is a different wine that I am sure also exists with multiple labels. It is the wine that David had here.

Dennis,
Here is the other label. The one that you don’t have of the Boudriottes from 2017 along with the Clos de la Boudriottes. It is exactly the same Boudriottes wine as the one with Noel’s label. FWIW. BTW, I don’t think that Domaine Ramonet label is used much at all if any. William is the best source.
IMG_3193.jpg

What I heard was that the Clos de la Boudriotte plot was older vines than the Boudriotte plot. I’ve put away a good amount of these Ramonet reds now; we’ll see how they do with age.

Clos de la Boudriotte is a plot within Morgeot. Not sure about vine age, but per the Clos it must be a walled portion within Morgeot, even if it’s just some small rocks.

Thanks, Don, and others for the ongoing discussion. I have some of the Noel bottling. Will take one for a spin spoon. Cheers all.

The 2016 was offered by envoyer for $60. Hope similar offer comes back for future vintages.

As I understand it, for both red and whites, Morgeot is not generally one vineyard (there could be one original vineyard, not sure) but rather more a series of vineyards that can use their own names or the name Morgeot, kind of like Mazoyeres Chambertins can be called Charmes Chambertin. https://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-chassagne-montrachet+morgeot

2013 was the last vintage of the SCE Domaine Ramonet label (itself proceeded by a number of different labels, some of which were used simultaneously as far as I can tell). Thereafter, Noël wanted to take a step back from running the domaine, so the holdings were split between him and his younger brother Jean-Claude. Noël farms his half, and sells the resulting grapes—via an intermediary, just to add another layer of complexity—to Jean-Claude. Now all the wines are labelled Jean-Claude Ramonet, with the words “élevé et mis en bouteille par J-C Ramonet” in smaller text below. And Jean-Claude has also taken on more parcels: some purchased, some in fermage such as the Clos du Cailleret (which Ficofi bought from Girardin), and a cuvée of Mâcon-Péronne which I guess is likely bought fruit from Jean-Claude’s ex-wife who directs Domaine de la Tour Penet in Mâcon-Péronne. This arrangement seems to suit everyone so I guess it will carry on for a while.

As for the Boudriotte and Clos de la Boudriotte red, these are indeed two different bottlings from two different parcels! The Clos de la Boudriotte was one of the early purchases of Pierre Ramonet and has a special place in the family’s heart (que joked about “Ramonet-Conti”) much like the Ruchottes in white. As others have mentioned, their reds can still amazing values and I look out for old vintages. Both 1971 Clos Saint-Jean and 1971 Clos de la Boudriotte were great last year, with the Clos Saint-Jean the heartier, richer, more muscular wine and the Clos de la Boudriotte more elegant and finessed—and I think that’s quite typical of how they are generally distinguished. I think I have a 1961 Clos Saint-Jean downstairs, as well as 1961 Bâtard, both with the Ramonet-Prudhon label, so that should make for a fun “horizontal” at some point.

Nice William. Thanks!

Thanks William. Can you go a bit deeper on Clos de la Boudriotte and its location.

William is really kind to come on here too. His generosity with his knowledge forced me into buying a subscription to the Wine Advocate. He is the one that I read there. For me, he is the sole reason to subscribe but well worth it. Some really nice content BTW.

Thread drift, and not to turn this into a love-fest for William, but he is a good follow on Instagram if you are inclined to social media
The videos are excellent, William!

Ramonet’s parcel is on the left hand side (i.e. south) of this block:

https://www.weinlagen-info.de?for=La+Boudriotte+1°+Cru

Next to them should be Bachelet-Ramonet, as Pierre Ramonet and his two siblings acquired it together in the late 1940s I think. When Claude Ramonet died, half his share when to Pierre Ramonet, and the other half to Marguerite Ramonet, i.e. Domaine Bachelet-Ramonet.

From google street view you can see that it is cordon pruned, which was the tradition in Chassagne, but I have never actually walked the vineyard, despite driving past it many times. A project for when this strange situation ends!

Thank you! And, as ever, it is a pleasure to contribute—which I find very stimulating.

William, I too want to thank you for being such a wonderful help here to all of us.

I subscribed last week in large part because of William and his participation here, but also to get access to Luis’s reviews.

I subscribed as well. I’ve found William’s insight to be invaluable.

William is not only a very humble and capable critic, he’s also a shrewd marketer. His contributions here illustrate “content marketing” at its best!

Thanks William. Do you know where the separate parcel labeled as just Boudriotte is and to your knowledge is there a significant difference in vine age, drainage / slope, soil type, etc. (I assume they are farmed the same?)