TN: 2014 Château Lanessan (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc)

One of the things I find interesting, is that when I look at this thread and the one about the 2015 Lanessan, folks seem to expect a classically styled Bordeaux to show well from the first sip. I know I did not mention it in my note, but it took time to show all its cards. I popped another 375ml last night, and it needed two hours of air after decanting to come out and play.

David is entirely correct here, especially in my long experience with this estate. The 2009 vintage was perhaps the most approachable in my experience, but not for the reasons you might think in this warm vintage. It actually showed bright red fruits, crisp acid, sweet tannins, almost a Chinon profile. 2010 was very backward but the materials clearly showed quality. I expected 2015 to be more approachable but only because of the modern consultant that was brought in.

Two thoughts on that David. First, speaking only for myself, as my note indicates I followed this for two nights and will revisit today. Second, I don’t know that anyone expects it to show “well” from the outset. However, we’ve probably all tasted enough young BDX to know what you find upon opening. Typically that is a ton of structure, definitely tannin, probably good acid, and often some wood. It may be impenetrable and even unpleasant, but it would typically give an idea that when it all unwinds there will be a cohesive whole. What surprised me was to find something soft and anonymous with none of the expected structure. That was two small (very small) glasses from an open bottle over probably two hours, then a glass on night two from the same bottle left on the counter. I’ll try it again today, and expect it will be good in time, I was just kind of surprised to find it somewhat soft.

Interestingly, last night, still unhappy with the Lanessan I opened a 2015 Guion Prestige. Also way too young. I’m happily drinking the '08 right now and wish I had older vintages. This wine shows much more as expected, rough, rustic, and wound up right now, but with an indication that it will uncoil in time and be really good.

The 2014 Guion Prestige is tight as well. I’ve opened a couple - heck, even I forget a $13.99 bottle like this can age - it needs 5-7+ years I think.

Spot on, David. Second day was excellent! Popped one last night.

I went to Total Wine to pick up some 16 Capbern. They were sold out, but I found these for $17 with a coupon. Popped and poured, I am going to try to follow this over a few days. I skipped the 11, 12 and 13 vintages and didn’t like the one bottle of 15 I tried. This is a lighter vintage with the fruits mostly in the red spectrum. Accents of tobacco. With air, I get a little mint on the nose. There is a nice dose of acidity but I’m not finding it very tannic. At this stage, this is much more interesting to me than the 15. Really a pleasant wine. I don’t really see how this could age as well as the 09 and 10, at least so far tonight, but it is very nice for the level and price. If this gains a little weight and depth tomorrow, I will be very happy.

Tonight the wine has put on a little weight. The fruit has turned a little darker and the wine is silky. It is perhaps a little less complex, but still pretty tasty. I am going to pick up some more and I would like to try the 2015 again, but based on one bottle of each, the 14 is more my style of wine.

The 2014 eclipses 2015, IMHO. An excellent Lanessan. I need yet another case…

2014 Château Lanessan - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (2/6/2019)
– decanted one hour before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 – 3 hours –

Ripe, purple-fruited Nose, with complications of wet stones and licorice; accessible aromas. On the palate, this has medium acidity, light tannins, and well-hidden alcohol. There’s a nice earthiness here, as well as an old wood furniture note. This is not over-oaked or overripe; it’s not very structured, but that’s a big part of the appeal here — it tastes like Bordeaux, as opposed to presenting as an anonymous internationally-styled wine; a good short to medium term wine. I’ll buy this again. Gut impression score: 88 – 89.

Total in Arlington had 2 left @ 17.00 also had the 15 and 16 for 22.97.

Have the 15 & 16 been blessed?

Now that Bobby’s palate is suspect I was hoping someone else would weigh in.
*I just looked and the ticket 15-16 are actually 22.49 fwiw. I haven’t been to Total in a while, they also had closeout 2011 Ramey Hyde chard for 30.00 and I took a flyer on Sixto Frenchman’s and Uncovered chards for 19.97 per

2011 Ramey Hyde is really good juice!

I too bought the 2014 as a future, in halves, 750s and mags. It’s already throwing some sediment, and as my palate prefers leaner left bank wines, after a 2 hour decant it drank well.
Here’s a great article on Lanessan, which I think has to be in the top 3 of under $25 QPR best Bordeaux that can age well.

Really nice article! Thanks for posting!

1 Like

Yw. The 2018 Lanessan’s only $14.20 plus tax at Millesima in NYC. Double that with NO upcharge for magnums.

A very cool read.

That article highlights the 1999 vintage as a winning example. Several years ago my local retailer got in quite a few cases of 2001 and 1999 Lanessan and was flipping them at $20 per. I bought, and consumed, tons of it. Like a dullard, I drank through every single one. I’m not sure that I can buy too much of this wine. I’m thinking that I need yet more 2014.

Remember, folks, the winemaking has changed. The 2015 and beyond vintages are not the rustic/elegant Lanessans that many of us have come to love. Form your own opinions, but I’d buy all of the 2014 you can before I’d spend a quid on 2015 or 2016.

Even at $30?

1 Like

The 2014 is worth every bit of $30, but that’s not the cost. Incidentally, at $30, you are getting in or near the even better 2014 Sociando, which is by far the value of the vintage. I bought from b21, WineExchange, European Wines and even WineBid had a “buy now” offer some time back.

Robert, I have found that Lanessan has such a solid track record from year to year (in good years), which is why I posted the price of the 2018 as I think its a steal buy. The price hasn’t even been adjusted up yet, as that’s the initial offering price. Half bottles tack on another 25 per case for the 18. But if you want the 2014, Millesima is selling that for 22 per bottle without needing to buy a full case, and 44 for mags, but you have to buy a full case. I haven’t tasted the 2018, but if its three cases of 2018 for a cost a little bit less than 2 cases of the 2014, the 2018 might be the better deal in the long run.

Regarding total wines as a source for Lanessan or other Bordeaux. Maybe it varies from store to store, but I am hesitant to buy anything from total wines as I don’t believe that they have “enough” proper storage conditions for fine ageable wines. (If someone knows more than I do, PLEASE chime in, as they have some good deals when you factor in the 20 per cent off direct import discount and no sales tax in Delaware.) I went to the total wine in DE on the PA border a few days ago, and they have high end burgundies and plenty of other wines sitting on shelves with bright fluorescent light shinning on the bottles. I ran my hand under the light, and there is increased heat from the lights, making it much less than an ideal situation. Yes, they do have some temperature controlled units in the center of the store, but from how they treat cases after cases of ageable fine wines like it’s inert vodka, makes me shudder. As I want my wines to be able to age 10, 15 or more years, I am more than a bit anal about how they are stored. If they aren’t stored by the business “properly”, how were they shipped to the store? I buy beer and spirits from total wines, and some cheapie sauvignon blancs for summer gulping, but I choose to give my business to those in the trade who I can confirm practice temperature controlled storage.