TN: 2015 Beta Cabernet Sauvignon Vare Vineyard

First, I have loved every Beta cab I’ve tried and I think it’s going to age well. Second, Griff is entirely right about Superman. There’s even a website about it: http://www.superdickery.com/tag/superman-is-a-dick/

Well I’ll be damned. All that glitters may in fact be (Glenn) Gold. I’m not telling Griff about this website though as it will only encourage him further. Dude already has a disturbing amount of weird predilections so no need to fuel his madness further.

I mean… it’s no GC Burg…
[rofl.gif]

The bottle of 2014 Vare that Charlie tried was mine. It was popped and poured at the end of a long dinner at a Chinese restaurant. Probably not the best environment for evaluating it. I took the bottle home and drank a couple glasses last night. I thought the wine had a great nose. Like a bowl of freshly picked blackberry. Hints a red fruits too. The finish was nice. I did feel that it was missing a touch of intensity/drive on the mid palate. The other bottles will be kept in the cellar to see how they evolve.

While I wouldn’t consider this to be the best cabernet I’ve had in recent memory, it was very well done and in a style that is a breath of fresh air. I’d love to see more people making these understated cabs.

Ahhhh that explains it. You’re forgiven for ignoring the specific instructions found inside the shipping box that forbid opening at bottle at the end of long dinner at Chinese resturarants. It was in very small print and easy to miss. Honestly I almost did the same thing a few weeks ago and narrowly avoided disaster as I had to leave before opening the bottle when the waiter scalded my wife with steamed bun. Feels good to be open & honest about this as it’s been eating away at me.

1 Like

you got big hands, so a touch from you is actually a lot missing flirtysmile

1 Like

I too was at this Chinese banquet dinner. Out of the 12 bottles opened there was one that had 2/3 of the bottle left, might be a telling sign.

Thanks for taking one for the team!

Ahh so this is the spot where a patron had a medical emergency and the restaurant closed early! Read about that. It’s annoying when you don’t get to finish a good meal with friends. What bottle were you 2/3rds of the way through when this all went down?

Not doge coin good, but good.

Was the last bottle opened other than your scotch. The “another bottle” syndrome. Max and I thought it was pretty good at dinner. Was better 2 days later. Not spectacular, but pretty darn good.

Add it to list of Life’s Great Mysteries as to why there’s a significant disconnect in ‘14 Beta Vare tasting experiences. I rarely make predictions but I doubt this riddle gets solved in my lifetime. And I’m ok with that.
BC61FFDD-0D4F-4DB9-B4DA-6D00BB663AC2.jpeg

Wow - a wine so controversial that meme’s are created about it! Will have to find some bottles and weigh in.

Indeed good sir! Christopher Marlowe himself would agree that it’s a far better muse than Helen of Troy! But he can’t cuz he’s dead so we are left with memes in lieu of poetry. The decay of western civilization continues dear friends!

Be wary of pump and dump schemes

Wow. Do people do that here? I wonder who could be accused of that…

Joke must be on me… WS Low for the '14 is $190 which is 2x+ of retail. The Pump is real; but is the wine quality?

You’ll have to explain that one to me you salty minx you. Sticking with the Chris Marlowe era vibe, the lady doth protest too much!

Now the accusation (or general PSA as it was framed) might have some merit if I was the type to be overly active on various social media platforms simultaneously promoting the godliness of certain wines and selling them on the side. But that’s something I don’t dabble in as I find it revolting, joyless and riddled with legal/tax issues that I have no interest in dealing with. Lord knows the world has enough of those shady actors anyway so no need for me to get involved in that.

If I’m being honest, I have been guilty of dumping wine…but those have all been old Oregon gems I’ve made available to people at my cost (wildly below market) from time to time on Commerce Corner. I suppose that qualifies me as a fool for essentially giving away old Thomas, Eyrie, Cameron, etc but why would I stop this dirty habit when I enjoy it so much and it gives others opportunity to do the same?

Up is down and down is up! Such a confusing time to be alive.

Wait, Bobby, people do that? Would that qualify as unethical, sketchy, illegal, or just slightly questionable? I’m sure mentioning it on this thread, the admonition would fall on deaf ears, given there’s no one on this thread that would ever behave that way! Also, is it still a “pump and dump scheme” if you keep some of it yourself, or do you have to sell through?

You truly are an honorable individual. May Queen Elizabeth recognize your merits and knight you prior to her passing. They should create statues of Beta in your honor. Only if we were lucky enough to be blessed with this bottle prior to consuming 11 others, including a scotch.
To be in your presence while drinking Beta would be a gift from the gods. Please be sure to open some Krug as well so I can drink that and save the Beta for you, my kind sir.

2 Likes

They have created many statues in my honor. Children climb upon them and laugh like children do and pigeons only poop adjacent as a sign of their enduring respect. May you one day be lucky enough to stand next to my many statues.