TN: 2015 Beta Cabernet Sauvignon Vare Vineyard

I met and spoke at length with Ketan at Riesling Study LA. Impressive guy and the work he has put in and the philosophy is inspiring. He is cutting no corners in bringing back his farming to bare bones, pre-modern era. Goblet training, no irrigation dry farming, minimalistic viticulture. It’s taken 10 years and it’s still not quite there in yield, but like he said “you pre-load all the hard work, then it gets easier”.

I really look forward to trying some of his mountain cab one day when he has enough to sell.

1 Like

Had it again tonight for my wife’s birthday. 1hr decant. It has unwound somewhat, but is still pretty tight. I can see that somewhere lurking with a bit more time, is a great wine. I’d rate it a bit higher today, maybe 91-92pts.

1 Like

Opened another one tonight with some steak and potatoes Savoyarde.

In a better place - initially on nose and first sip I had hint of eucalyptus which was interesting - not sure I got that before. The nose in general on this thing is ravishing, lots of cool stuff. On the pallet, it has softened somewhat, but still has miles and miles to go. There’s still a little sharp astringency there that straddles that no-mans land between heat and tannins. I think that will subside with a little more time - it already has from last time I tried it. This wine has potential and is doing all the right moves, it’s just not quite there yet. Same rating as last time I opened it in '22.

I’ll report back tomorrow after pumping it - only drank 2 glasses.

8 Likes

Lovely today. Still very vibrant on the back end with plenty of acid, but much more mellow tannins. This can prob hold for many more years.

3 Likes

Adam, great to see the update. Concur across the board. Enjoying a bottle tonight and excited to see the progress. Funny to look back at the origin of this thread.

IMG_0068