TN: 2016 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco

Sigh I am weak… [wow.gif]

Anyone in NE Ohio want to go in on a case? I would be in for 3-4

What does BALANCE stand for?

I think it’s related to office chair design.

hahahaha…touché

BALANCE means when the key elements of a wine are in perfect harmony. Or like I say at tastings or write in TN, “everything is on the right place”.

Technically speaking, the key elements of a wine are fruit, acidity, alcohol, tannin and extract.

For me personally, in addition the key elements are structure, depth, freshness, elegance and drinking pleasure. You can also add length, agebility and sensitive oak management etc.

Especially in outstanding vintages like 2016 you taste/feel and understand the word BALANCE, as I drank (not tasted!) several high-ranking wines from Bordeaux and Italy in the last months.

I’ve tried three bottles so far. I found it a bit disjointed with prominent oak notes for several hours after opening in each bottle, but it all comes together on Day 2 and is absolutely singing.

Surprised at prominent oak notes, I thought this was always fermented in steel and then into old large botti?

Yep. Perhaps they were breaking in replacement botti…

Though I have had it twice now, and no oak prominence at all.

Oak???

Well if there isn’t any oak, then it’s probably just my inability to describe what I am tasting. I just recall fairly strong vanilla notes and gripping tannin, which I generally associate with oak. I will certainly defer to others with more experience.

The second day whatever I am tasting is completely gone or integrated.

Gripping tannin is textbook Nebbiolo

The vanilla is odd though. Never noted that in a Produttori wine.

Rare Wine Compnay just released a Jerobaum offer for the 1990 vintage at $495, for you Produttori fans!

I whole-heartedly agree, nothing like watching a Nebbiolo come to life over the course of a couple of days. Also, I’m not really happy with the results of decanting (such as: leaving the wine in the decanter and not just using it to remove sediment) Nebbiolo.

I swore I’d keep my hands off these after opening a bottle of the 2015 about a year ago - just way too closed and tannic. But it was impossible to resist all the enablement here.

All the pieces are there but very closed and tannic over 5 hours. I stuck a Repour in it and came back the next day. The Repour did its job because it took all day (8 more hours) to open up. Destined for greatness, I’m glad I bought a case, but the rest are going to sleep for a decade or more.

This thread is trying to make me pull the trigger on more, but need to stay strong will all the releases happening/having just happened

Under $30/bottle at wine.com with a $100 off $300 coupon.

Bunch of enablers champagne.gif

does anyone know when this wine will actually start hitting shop shelves?

I already purchased mine from Vin Chicago and Binnys…

Cheers,
JP

Its on the shelves up here in the Northeast.