TN: 2017 Marie et Pierre Bénetière Côte-Rôtie Cordeloux

The 2016 bottled in April 2016???

We may have to do another dinner to check in on the current Benetiere vitnage…

1 Like

Might? [cheers.gif]

1 Like

To be bottled April 2018, per the March 2018 JLL note.

ha - edited thanks for catching. point is, no updates and lies about paperwork is the last update we have.

Yes, but the 2015 is quite good, if young. I would suspect the 2016 could have turned out OK, but maybe something happened.

I’m no longer a buyer, as I just don’t like (any) Cote Rotie as much as other wines, but to go back to retreading the prior thread is pointless.

well, i like cote-rotie a lot, so i’m still interested lol. these two sentences did standout:

I think we all know the 2015 Benetiere story and the highly variable bottles. Then the long delay in the 2016 release which ultimately ended up with none of it being imported.

the acknowledgment or at least mention of “highly variable bottles” seems like a big deal. the long delay of the 2016 also interesting as there’s no evidence that it even exists. are there listings for it in France or UK? when I asked The Source, they said they hadn’t purchased it yet. given the review from JLL and the vintage generally being excellent, it’s odd that a “long delay” in releasing the wine should result in it not being imported into the USA. if the wine exists, i’d imagine they’d want to sell it.

Got the email form Robert Panzer regarding 2017 last 01/07, replied within less than 30 minutes but have not heard back at all. Usually Robert responds very quickly, maybe too many people ordered at the same time?

[dontknow.gif] [dontknow.gif]

He doesn’t sell based on response time like Envoyer and others. Usually when there are allocated items involved (Dolium) you won’t Hear back until the end of the ordering window. I think he allows all the orders to come in and then parcels the limited stuff up as best as possible. I haven’t heard back yet either and won’t expect to for a couple more days I’d imagine.

1 Like

I just drank the 15 that I got from Rob out of curiosity. It clearly is not the explosive style description of the 17. However it is quite young and there is a lot of structure with iron and more savory notes in the background. I coravined it down to 1/3 of a bottle and plan to pull the cork this week to finish. Found it quite satisfactory and needing time, no obvious flaws or deteriorating fruit, just comes across as muted. Will give the last 1/3 some decant time and re evaluate. Judgment deferred. I did put in a modest order with Rob for the 17s, purely based on his trustworthiness as a vendor.

I’m giving people the benefit of the doubt that they had bad bottles. I personally haven’t experienced it and many others haven’t, but i’m not going to dismiss the fact that Polaner didn’t like the wine they had. My bottles from Panzer had no problems.

What’s the total production? Does he blend everything before bottling, or bottle in lots? As I pointed out a while back in my slow-ox thread, just dumping a bunch of barrels into a tank, without plenty of active stirring, won’t give you a homogeneous wine.

6 months later, anyone know where i can find 16 or 17 stateside?

No 16 to my knowledge was brought over.

17 - panzer. It’s stateside now

'16 is coming stateside, but not by me.

interesting. polaner then?

Polaner no longer represents Benetiere.
Jerome Brenot of la Grenouille will be bringing in the '16.

Just coravined a bottle. Great nose. Lifted, perfumed, violets, stemmy herbaceousness. A little tarry. Maybe more red than blue-fruited, but the fruit profile is fairly non-specific to me now.

Blossoms with a couple hours in the decanter - very focused and pure on the palate. Cutting acidity on PnP, but fills out with the some air. Tannic, but not brutally so. This is a very, very pretty wine. Some black olive brininess comes into play here with time, but I don’t get much in the way of meatiness.

2015 was very burly. 2012 was also a nice drink when I had it a couple years ago, but from memory, I liked the 2017 more tonight. The nose is intoxicating.

1 Like

i’ll keep a look out for it as well as the 17. doesn’t the source bring in on the west coast? i’m happy to be convinced that it’s normal for a domaine with such pedigree to keep bouncing around importers.

Jerome is the same as the source. Source distributes for a few French companies. Wasserman and la grenouille.