TN: 2017 Marie et Pierre Bénetière Côte-Rôtie Cordeloux

Benetiere hasn’t changed importers once.
He dropped Polaner.
That’s it.

Who? Yaacov?

that’s a headline right there. thought it was the other way around.

Claude Kolm was lukewarm on the 2017. “Pleasant but not profound Cote-Rotie.”

i wonder what his agenda is??

[rofl.gif]

Drank the Cordeloux '17 last night with a capercaille and was surprised with the polished appearance compared to the '11 which has stuck in memory as particularly intoxicating and nervy. I also opened a La Turque '00 - supposedly to provide contrast - but they were very much alike! The Cordeloux a tad more red fruited and the Turque had a wee bit more depth and concentration.

Drank the 2012 last night. Round, unevolved and almost primary. Hard to believe the wine was as old as it was - largely disappointing. This was not my bottle - but I’ve got a few in the cellar so hoping for future development. The Chave Estate St. Joseph from 2011 was drinking exceptionally well and should continue to do so for another decade if cellared properly. We also had a 2015 Gonon St. Joseph. Very young and very promising. Wouldn’t drink another bottle for at least 5 years.

2 Likes

Why would you expect the 2012 to be notably developed at age 11? Seems early.

I have not opened a 2012 since shortly after release to check in. Wasn’t planning to touch another bottle for at least another 5 years.

I opened one a couple weeks ago, still feels pretty shut down and would need an aggressive decant.

Agree with the notes on 2012. Had one couple of months ago and it did not show anything. Even couple of hours air did not help-just dull throughout the whole night. Hoping that being buried for awhile will wake it up…

1 Like

Did read somewhere on this board '17 being rather clean and polished. Given such an appearance at a young stage, wonder if it will really develop into anything unique that we are accustomed to for 2011-2013 Cordelouxs…

Yes, it may seem that the weight- and effortless joy is bound to ‘weaker’ years - that bodes well for 2021. The warmer years wines only commend half of la Turque and are such a really good deal.