TN: 2018 Elyse Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

Glad to see the 2018 tasting well for you! I have to concur with opinions in the thread that Elyse is an outstanding value for Napa wine, and I’m pleased to hear that’s holding up with the new ownership. I opened my last bottle (2003 Morisoli Cab Sauv) in 2020 and it was lovely. If not for the pandemic, I’d have picked up more by now. Cheers!

My local wine shop appears to only be able to get the 2018 single vineyard Cabernets.

For those that have had the SVD and the Napa Valley how do they compare?

I really like the Holbrook Mitchell. Haven’t delved into the others yet.

There’s a note here somewhere.

1 Like

Here ya go

1 Like

Is there quite a difference in the SVD’s? The price point isn’t much different.

Again, I can only speak to the Holbrook, but I find it notably more complex than the Napa, which is more of a joy ride. My next order will probably focus on the Holbrook.

1 Like

The 2018 Tietjen, Morisoli and Elyse are a cut above, naturally. PM me for a link to my thoughts on them. Bevan is making some beautiful wines there with Josh and Cheryl.

Now I might have to open one of my Morisoli.

Was the 2018 Tietjen released?

Doesn’t look like it’s out yet. The 2017 is still the one on their site. I don’t recall if it was a club option when I made my picks.

Yes, and it is still for sale on their website for $100 if you are in the wine club. This is the only wine club I’m in. The club discounts make it worth it.

id be interested in this, see how it compares to the NV.
the price point is very fair.

I also only see the 17, not the 18.

Not sure… It is under the '18 release–but you are right that is say '17. Maybe check with Cheryl?

My notes didn’t specify. I tasted them with Josh Peeples back in May and then shot a bunch of fun images for the magazine.

bevan.jpg

1 Like

Brought my one bottle to a Friendsmas last night and enjoyed it. Great QPR.

Didn’t take a formal note but really enjoyed the Holbrook Cabernet.

Glad to hear that.

Any thoughts on what to go with in the 2019?

I was excited to see a Howell Mountain cab being offered with the 2019’s. Definitely looking forward to trying that. Also good to see the 2018 Proprietary Red on offer, as I wasn’t offered it previously and it hasn’t been on their website until now.