TN: 2018 Elyse Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

I had assumed all the Prop Red was gone, but glad it was there. I asked for 2.

I purchased in the Fall last year but didn’t get any recent emails - is there a new release? Is it for wine club members only?

Yes, there’s a shipment for club members, with a few wines that appear to be exclusive. I’m sure there will be a general release soon after.

1 Like

Assuming you like the wines and intend to purchase, the club membership is a no brainer. There’s no cost associated with it, you get 20% off of every bottle you buy, shipping is a flat $35 for orders of six bottles or more, and you get free tastings when you visit the winery. It’s the only actual “club“ that I belong to.

We picked up our February shipment at the tasting room on Sunday. We tasted the 7 Elyse wines below:

2019 Old Vine zin
2019 DCV zin
2019 Korte Ranch zin
2019 Yountville AVA cab
2019 Howell Mtn cab
2019 Holbrook-Mitchell cab
2019 Le Corbeau Rhone blend

As well as these:

2018 Morgado SRH Rita’s Crown pinot
2019 Standard Deviation So Coast pinot
2019 Addax SRH pinot

The Addax wines are made by Bevan and I believe the Morgado and Standard Deviation winemakers were mentored by Bevan. I think both are made at Vinify in Santa Rosa.

All the wines were VERY good, but the Korte Ranch zin, Howell Mtn cab, Le Corbeau blend and Addax pinot were standouts. I wanted to taste the 2018 Elyse Proprietary Red blend (which was in our shipment), but it is sold out.

If I remember correctly Garret said 2021 was the last vintage for Holbrook-Mitchell. The vineyard is being replanted. He also said there will be 2020 wines, but not very many.

you definitely got the Morisoli from TheWineToBuy for $45? That seems to be the going price for the basic cab?

'16, likely trying to get rid of older inventory maybe?

The Elyse wines made prior to Bevan’s arrival as winemaker for the 2018 vintage are quite different than those of 2018+. I tasted a 2017 wine a year ago at the tasting room and it was much more traditional and less exuberant than Bevan’s wines. It was like night and day different.

Elyse is the first wine club I’ve joined in well over a decade.

Mind confirming once you receive. Thanks.

This is good to know, thanks! I opened the Holbrook-Mitchell 18 Cabernet last night and it is phenomenal (especially at the club price). Will have to stock up.

Should I change the title to a general Elyse thread? Seems like there’s good discussion here.

Good call on that 2018 Holbrook-Mitchell. It’s lovely.

Holbrook Mitchell is my favorite so far, barely edging out the Napa Cab.

Thanks for confirming. Nice deal for that wine. Will try one and may buy more. Thanks for sharing.

I’m sure the 2016 is a fine wine, but you guys realize it isn’t a Bevan wine, yeah? He only started with the 2018 vintage

I haven’t tried the older wines, but others (including Roy Piper) have said the quality has increased since changing ownership and Russell’s winemaking.

Couldn’t embed the IG post, but here is the link to Roy’s post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COdep_EL9gP/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

fwiw, my comment wasn’t intended as a criticism in any way. I’ve had some older Elyse wines (from the late 1990s, iirc), and enjoyed them, this was just a heads-up in case you weren’t aware.

The current Elyse wines still represent terrific value for their class. They are different with RB leading the winemaking, but it’s not just a price increase.

These are really starting to sing with a nice decant. Paired with a dry aged T-bone. Everyone thought it was the WOTN.

1 Like

The 93 Elyse I had a couple months ago was superb