TN: 2018 Sandlands Chardonnay (USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville)

• 2018 Sandlands Chardonnay - USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville (4/17/2024)
    Last minute replacement for a flawed bottle, this was instantly happy to be opened, with bright lemon and ripe apple fruit, as well as a pleasing dash of spice. It reminded me more than a little of the Ramey Fort Ross Seaview (aka Sonoma Coast) Chardonnay, and that’s a really good thing.
2 Likes

LOVED my one bottle allocated…wish I could get more!

1 Like

I’m a big cheerleader for Sandlands and have been a buyer every release.

But (and you knew there was a “but” coming) the chenin and more recently the chardonnay just aren’t my thing. They don’t have the level of brightness, crispness and acids I love in the reds.

More of a stylistic thing than an absolute quality thing. Plus maybe just having confounded my expectations a bit.

1 Like

Interesting. I eventually dropped off Sandlands, as I found most of the reds overly acidic for their material. They seem hollow to me. This Chardonnay was one of the few bottles of Sandlands I have truly enjoyed over the last several years.

1 Like

Makes sense in a way as far as styles clicking with individual palates.

1 Like

Did you get any of the Assyrtiko? Would like to know what you think of it, sounds like might have what you’re looking for in a white from them.

I love these wines and they are a great value, especially to todays market.

Tom

The 2020s made great table wines for that reason. Quite honest wines but simple. 2021 was quite acidic, only tried one and I guess it was way too early.

I think I did but I haven’t had it yet. I’ll report back