TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

Clearly I must be drinking in a time machine! :wink:

It’s astounding
Time is fleeting
Madness takes its toll

Ha, same here…2 cases of SVDs plus some mags. Wish I had grabbed more OVZ for cellar defenders.

So interesting…I went for a baker’s dozen of OVZ since I wanted a case + 1 for immediate curiosity, and not as deep on the SVD’s. Equal non-amusement from the spouse at the 3 boxes, most likely due to no Lulu.

We’ve been through 3 cases of Lulu already this Summer and another case+ of Judge SB. Helps to live local enough to drop by the tasting room to reload. Went 2 deep in all the SVDs in the last release plus a case of Old Vine which we do every year. It’s a must.

David, just confirming you did a slow ox in the bottle and not a decant for 2 hours?

Correct.

[rofl.gif] [winner.gif]

It’s not a bad wine, but best QPR on the planet? I don’t think so… I don’t really get the excitement around this wine.
Worth the $20 for those who like the style, but certainly not much more and I’d rather spend my money elsewhere.

Poured a glass and I’m shocked how good this is already. Guessing bottle variation and all that, but this is delicious, rich, supple, brambly (more blackberry) - and the mrs just tried it and said, “mmmm…oh that’s fun, what’s this one?”

Ymmv [cheers.gif]

I guess I’ll open my first 2017 tonight. I tend to like these with some age. I still have one ‘13 left.

Welcome to the thread Mr. Killjoy. :wink:

[berserker.gif]

My wife thinks like Andy… but she is overruled by my daughters and I. We are still going through our 2016’s but look forward to these.

Ok, ill bite. Can you enlighten us with the $20 and under wines that blow you away?

I didn’t say it wasn’t worth $20, I just don’t get the frenzy. If you draw a hard line at $20, the OVZ is a probably decent option. But best QPR? No. It’s not offensive in any way, but also has little depth and is not particularly interesting to me. There are plenty of reds that check similar boxes, especially from regions like Beaujolais (Sunier, Coudert, Foillard) or Loire (Baudry, Raffault) and tons of Italian wines. Or domestic producers like Arnot-Roberts (Trousseau, Syrah) and Anthill (Syrah) that are more my style and give me more enjoyment for the money (but granted, they are a bit more expensive).

Gotcha! Yep, I’m with you on Beaujolais offering wines with similar QPR, but I don’t feel you as much with Arnot-Roberts. Interesting wines but they don’t jump out as QPR killers to me at all.

Also surprised you don’t find the OVZ interesting or having any depth. To me, that’s exactly what it provides and why it gets so much love here. Always exciting, delicious wines with plenty of complexity…especially at $19 a bottle.

Different strokes and all that [cheers.gif]

The idea that this wine has little depth baffles me. The 2019 is layered and deep.

Drinking the 18 with a little chill on it by the pool…nice!!
9F78ADD4-7791-4B19-9B34-60F6D1CF1B4B.jpeg