TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

Apparently, Andy doesn’t like zin. In general I agree, but I like Bedrock zin. I agree with liking Beaujolais and it being good value.

Opened the 2019 tonight and left to slow ox per David’s recommendations. This wine definitely has depth and complexity and is an absolute delight. Can tell that there is more fruit from Bedrock vineyard in this vintage.

I used to be underwhelmed by the OVZ, as well, until I realized I wasn’t giving them enough time in the cellar. Now they are, for me, the best $20 wine out there. I particularly like that the price has stayed steady, while many wines have increased in price over the last few years. I’m currently drinking the 2015s and they’re delicious.

2017 tonight seemed very young. Will be interested to see where it is tomorrow but I most likely won’t open my next one for 2+ years.

We just finished our 15’s. I agree!

I still have one 2015 left, drank two of them earlier this year. Might let it go further for “science” but so fun to drink now.

I opened the 2018 last Thanksgiving. It was ok, but not an oh my wine. I still holding another bottle. Based on the CT notes, people aren’t in love with the ‘18. Rating average is 90 points.

So can anyone tell me what makes my 2019’s something I should look forward to opening, or will the ‘19 be a wine that I’ll bring to a dinner with non geeks?

Dan

Isn’t 90 a very good wine? At $20, I’m happy there. It’s meant to be a high quality daily drinker while the SVDs mature. There have been some vintages, sounds like 2019, where they definitely over-perform.

+1

Popped one last night and visited it over three hours. Came around pretty well with air but you will be better off waiting two years since this has more stuffing than your typical entry level zin.

Will deliver high enjoyment at a song in two years.

100% this.

Sounds like you were expecting the fireworks of an aged SVD with the $19 entry level bottle?

Clearly I overplayed this for some people.

No apologies though. When you can have as good a wine as this for $20 it’s a big deal IMO.

My Wife opened another bottle of this the other night and I had a glass last night after it had a couple days to settle down. Still has that harshness on the back of the palate that tells me it’s not ready to open up. I’m giving these some time to unwind. Far from drink me now status.