TN: 2019 Keller "von der Fels" - first impressions

Incredible how cheap top German wines can be …

Picked up 4x 2016 for $27 in NYC.
Looking forward to trying this vintage out.

Nice grab from Morrell. I picked up only 2. Silly me introspective!

So you are the one that took the others. I was wondering why my cart quantity changed. Ha!

That’s the reason why I posted this photo. Not because of the bottle. Such funny…

I don’t think so. I am quite certain he and his son Felix will continue making von der Fels in the next years and decades. With the von der Fels the KELLER family has a Riesling in his portfolio which is relatively easy available for all of the Keller friends&customers and affordable for everybody. As I said before around 17-18 Euro in Germany. The GGs is a different kind of animal. With the vintage 2019 and its low quantity and huge demand, its not such easy to get a GG.

As the young vines of von der Fels based on Kirchspiel&Hubacker vineyards are getting older and older, also the quality is getting better and better. You can taste it, much more depth&purity and minerality in comparison to the last decade of von der Fels. just for the record a barrel of ABTSERDE went into 2019er, as 2019 is the 20. vintage of von der Fels.

BTW, I had a 2019 Scheurebe a few days ago, simply mind-blowing. This Scheurebe is based on almost 50 years old vines in MORSTEIN. You could taste the classic “dirty” minerality of the Morstein vineyard, such huge… second it was a Scheurebe. You could clearly taste the importance&impact of age regarding vines.

Note: Scheurebe is not available on the market

IMG_2053.jpg
Cheers,
Martin

YES!!!

I got married in 2019 so I’m really hoping to find some of those magnums in the US. So excited for the release here!

Martin,

any comparisons Von der Fels 2018 vs 2019? In my local market the 2019 is not out yet and 2018 still available. Should I hold?

Jan,

BUY 2018, as the quantity is very low in the vintage 2019. And not so much will arrive in Australia I suspect. The demand for KELLER wines is huge based on the reputation of the estate, praise for the vintage and the people are hoarding due the pandemic. I had 2018 last week and it was great, but much too young. I will wait 3-5 more years for the next bottle.

I would say 2019 shows a terrific BALANCE, huge extract and a bit more finesse than 2018 incl. a more polished&elegant acidity. No comparison to any vintage since 2010, rather a vintage from the good old days like 2001. Regarding the balance&inner peace it reminds me on 2004 which is one of the best vintages at the estate Keller. Finally I think 2019 has the better aging potential than 2018. But time will tell.

In general from what I heared and read from other journalists&wine-friends who tasted more&different wines , all praised the BALANCE of the vintage 2019.

Cheers,
Martin

Martin,

Your description makes my mouth water. Thank you for your lively & detailed reply. I do hope to get my hands on some 2019s.

Grüße aus Down Under!

Drank my first 2018 Von der Fels last week. Absolutely delicious. Powerful and vibrant. I’d love to hang on to some (that seems to be my problem with Keller), but it’s been stuck in my mind… all I want from wine right now.

Thanks for the notes Martin! I am definitely going to try to find a bottle of this. Very cool to hear the family will likely carry on the tradition for years to come.

Lol!!

PSA 2019 Von der Fels is now out in the NY & NJ area…It’s between $36-$40 in most places. Magnums were made because it was the 20th anniversary of this wine. Snap them up while you can.

There were magnums 2018 too. Not sure about prior years.

Oh, maybe it was 3L then, KPK made a post on IG about the 2019 Von der Fels being the 20th vintage that they’ve made this wine. Either way, I was elated to be able to snag a few as this is the year my wife & I got married & with our (slightly delayed) honeymoon to Germany now being postponed again it was really nice to see these hit the market & snag a few for the cellar so we can celebrate with our wedding party again at a later point in time.

I’m sure they will be wonderful!

• 2019 Weingut Keller Riesling von der Fels - Germany, Rheinhessen (10/10/2020)
    I’ve never opened this wine early like this, but damn, this is possibly the best bottle of VdF’s that I’ve had. The nose is expansive and at once explodes into scents filled with the most perfect peach dashed against crushed marble with lime juice. The palate is taught & bright as if rocks, lime, and green apple were all exploding in your mouth like pop-rocks. This is such a brilliant wine that highlights how top-to-bottom all the wines KPK is making are special and worthy of the attention of all wine geeks.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

I told you. [drinks.gif]

Martin, what is your take on his Sylvaner Oiseau de feu 2019?