TN: 2019 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spätlese #5

Schaefer adopted a more consistent system for numbering his wines, including the Graacher Domprobst Spatlese, starting in 2006 or 2007. Now there is an 05 and 10 Domprobst Spatlese every year, plus typically an additional auction Spatlese, which is numbered 18. It doesn’t mean necessarily one barrel at Schaefer from my understanding, depending on yield. It could be more than one barrel in a given year. The 05 is typically the more structured, sometimes botrytis tinged wine. (It’s never a full on botrytis wine.) The 10 is often a little lighter and more open young (but by no means lacking flavor and cut). Both delicious. But I do love the 05. Many of us think there is something special about it and a no brainer buy every year.

2 Likes

You’re lucky I didn’t swipe those. When I went to their website yesterday they had 6 left, I took 3 :smiley:

Great note, thank you — the #5 consistently delivers, vintage aside — in ‘19, no surprise that it is outstanding (as seen in your note). With it ready to go, will be tough to keep hands off of it!

I bought heavily in 2019 and almost all that I tasted were delicious right out of the gate with high acidities and very open and sometimes complex aromatics.
this is true for the Schloss Lieser Kabinetts and Spätlese Juffer and Goldtröpfchen (the Juffer Kabinett indeed with spätlese concentration and numbers: > 60g/L sugar, > 9g/L acidity, 8.5%), the Vollenweider “Wolfer Goldgrube” Kabinett. A bit more reserved: MF Richter Elisenberg Kabinett, the Schäfer GD Kabinett (balanced and delicious, although not yet complex), A.J. Adam Hofberg Kabinett. The Adam Hofberg Auslese* was an absolute winner.

The 19 may be at the top of a very nice stretch of excellent vintages with 15, 16, 17 (even 18 with lower acidities may develop nicely - a recently opened Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Spat was soooo tasty).

Have you tried any of the 2019 Schloss Lieser Wehlener wines yet?

I bought #10 instead of #5. Maybe I will need some #5 as well.

Embrace the magic of “and.”

Thanks for the note Brian. I have been wanting to try some Willi Schaefer so I picked up a few of these along with some 2019 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese. Many of your recent tasting notes have lead me to make purchases as I have been trying to build up German Riesling in my cellar - thank you. I found some attractive pricing for 2019 Schaefer #10, but held off for now as I am trying to slow down my purchasing!

Indeed. Of the (few) #5’s I’ve had in youth this has been the most open and ready to go. Annual buy for me.

Sorry to enable, not :wink:

Have you tried any of the 2019 Schloss Lieser Wehlener wines yet?

Alex, no Wehleners yet, the Sonnenuhr Spätlese might be next; I’ll report.

While my German Riesling experience will pale compared to many on this board, I opened a 750ml (with 4 airs of decanting) on Friday night and enjoyed a glass over the next 4 evenings… In short, the hype is real, one of the better young Spats I can recall ever tasting. The focus, persistence, coverage and flat out deliciousness improved each successive evening. Purchase this if you see it without question.

2 Likes

4 consecutive evenings, much more willpower than me :wink:

Brian, I assure you I am no multiday tasting Jedi… The wife just can’t get past 1 glass of German Pradikat wine (which she enjoys but not more) which left me holding this gem for a little experiment [cheers.gif]

Thanks for this note. I actually just picked up some of these as well based on your recommendation. How long until you open your next bottle though? If they are so open and easy drinking now do you think it will not age as well?

I have no concerns about aging potential. Assuming air have willpower, I’ll wait 10-12 years to open the next bottle.

Just popped open a bottle tonight. Decanted a little over an hour ago. Will post a TN after I dive in.

German Rieslings are often wide open for a year or two post release. There is no reason to be concerned about age worthiness for any Willi Schaefer wine. I still have late 1990s QbA bottlings that are going strong.

Drink one now. Then bury the rest to start drinking in 2034. You won’t regret it. 2020 vintage, repeat. 2021 vintage, repeat…

You mean my 1996s might be ready to drink?

I know there have been several threads, but would this be a good candidate to show a riesling noob (myself) what a young riesling can be (assuming I can source it)?