TN: Resolved: The Finest Village Red Burgundy Is...

It can be serious stuff, one of those wines you pull out if you want a 1er but not feeling you should. Bill Nanson had it up there as well. I like the Bachelet Gevrey Village VV as well, a close call. In fact there are many that come to mind Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny, Jayer-Gilles Village wines with a few years - try the 02’s, Liger-Belair - Clos du Chateau…

This thread prompted me to seek out this wine and a few days ago a couple bottles arrived from a cross country journey from some shop in Florida to my doorstep. Opened a bottle tonight. Yup - this is really nice… I’ll put a better note up later once we’ve worked through the bottle. [welldone.gif]

Which wine/vintage is “this” wine, Rob? [scratch.gif]

Mike…I am surprise [wow.gif] to see that your vote ***would proabbly go to the Sylvie Esmonin G-Chambertin VV ***

I am with Leah when he said : Really ?

I agree with Gary when he said : Sylvie Esomin has been inconsistent since 2002.

I am a follower of Sylvie Esmonin’s red - specially her CSJ as it is very reasonable price here in Quebec Canada since the early 90s.

Then her style changed, and again changed lately ( for various reasons ) …to a point that I stopped buying.

My vote go to : Roumier Chambolle-Musigny - slight over my 2nd choice Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny.

My above choice is slight bias as now I could not afford to buy Musigny and also it is painful to buy any Chambolle 1ieme crus.

The one that started the thread… here’s my note…

• 2006 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne-Romanée - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (2/10/2011)
    A Wine Berserkers discussion about this wine prompted me to seek out a couple of bottles and just a few days ago they arrived from their cross country trek. (B-21 wines in Florida to my place in California). Opened one tonight and was not disappointed at all. This is really a great little wine with a tantalizing nose of rustic cherry, a hint of smoke and a floral element similar to a subtle rose. On the palate there’s a great combination of acidity, medium weight, and fruit that commingles well together and improves with time in the glass. A nice spice element hits toward the finish. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Drinking Fourier’s 2008 GC tonight and it sure is tasty!

Since this thread has suddenly become revivified: I was sent a bottle of a cask sample of Henri Jouan’s Gevrey-Chambertin aux Echezeaux 2011 yesterday and I drank it with the partner for brunch. What an ambrosially appetising, pulsingly pleasurable, stiffeningly scrumptious village-level wine it was! Just tits. I’ve had the 2008 several times and am contractually obliged to state that it’s the cat’s arse, but the 2011… ah… more blessed with bouncers and provided with poonts even than me after 14 years on anti-psychotics. TITS.

Kisses,
David.

Gouges NSG 09 is a worthy rival…maybe not every year but the vintage ripeness buffered by Nuits iron notes makes for a delicious yet transparent wine…wonderful juice

That’s a nice wine, John. One of the few young Gouges I’ve enjoyed drinking. The new winemaker and new winery clearly benefitted Gouges in 09 This was also true in 2010 as far as accessibility goes, but not so much in 2011. As a man taken with pleasures of the flesh I prefer the 09s even to the ‘take me, take me’-2010s.Top tortoise kit.

Anon,
Davy.

I tried a 2005 Geantet-Pansiot Gevrey Chambertin VV the other week. Excellent wine.

David- you’re the best. Laugh my ass off with each post but still educated at same time.

Oh John, you are too kind. I’m just a light-hearted kind of chap who takes wine petrifyingly seriously. I’ve been interested in wine since I was 5-6-ish so it is close enough to me I feel safe cracking the odd joke, but if mere mortals people cross wine, my first liquid love, I will smite them with florid rage and furious anger… erm… perhaps a bit carried away there. Thanks for the compliment:)

Anon,
Davy.

Perhaps I have been lucky with my bottles.
OK, for aging how about Claude Dugat’s Gevrey Chambertin, I am drinking the 1996, it is superb and has another 20 years ahead of it. Also had some impressive Vougeraie’s recently - Village Chambolle Musigny, Gevrey Chambertin Les Evocelles. I can think of others, many great village wines…

Who can tell us the vineyard sources for the M-G Vosne village?

By the way, while this thread has brought out a number of heavy hitters, I would be remiss to not mention the lovely and deep, mineral inflected 2010 Digioia-Royer Chambolle drank a couple of nights ago. It just edged out the '07 Bachelet Gevrey VV - a fine wine and one of the better '07s for sure.

Tyler…it is made from several villages holdings, some of which are behind the winery and none of which most of us have ever heard of…if you go to their website…1000_Accueil …got to “wines”, click on Vosne Romanee villages…you will see the map of the vineyards which comprise it…

To the north-east of Vosne-Romanée, Les Chalendins. Adjoining the domaine: Le Pré de la Folie, Les Champs Gourdin, and La Colombière To the south of Vosne-Romanée, Les Croix Blanches.

I havent tried enough village wines to really pick the best, but the Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne villages is certainly a favorite of mine and my wife. It was the 06 that made me start buying from the Domaine and Ive really liked all vintages (08,09,10) Ive tried since.

I havent tried enough village wines to really pick the best, but the Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne villages is certainly a favorite. It was the 06 that made me start buying from the Domaine and Ive really liked all recent vintages (08, 09 and 2010).

I’ll be happy to do the 2AR in this debate.

No love to Serafin’s GC VV that adjoins 1er crus?

Thanks Stuart!