TN: Schloss Lieser Riesling Kabinett 'Goldtröpfchen' 2018

Are there any German wine lovers who do not love a really good Kabinett?

He has been buying parcels in a whole bunch of new vineyards lately. Believe he has had Goldtropfchen for only a couple of years. But I haven’t seen it either. Uneven distribution in the States though hopefully that will change with Skurnik having picked up their portfolio.

New-er. I tasted their 2016s at the estate, including the Goldtropfchen GG and Kabinett (the Kabinett was awesome). I don’t recall that they made wines from that vineyard prior to 2016.

Now I want a Kabinett. Have had plenty of good Kabinett but need to find a really good Kabinett and one that’s ready for drinking now (most of mine are 2015 and 2016 vintage).

Oldest Goldtropfchen I have from Lieser is a 2016 Spatlese.

Thank you, Charlie!

Goldtröpfchen is a brilliant vineyard to own a piece of, the wines have such an intensity to them - even this Kabinett seemed like drops of gold.

It’s used to be that the only passable Goldtröpfchen was made by Rheinholt Haart, but his wines were pretty ordinary. Now there’s Lieser, Spater-Viet and Julian Haart (who makes stunning wines), at least. It’s good that this high-quality vineyard is getting the serious growers it deserves!

Anon,
Davy.

And Max Kilburg!

That’s a really brilliant name, but I’ve never heard of the fellow - thank you for enlightening me!

Young guy, excellent wines, worked with Julian Haart. We have drunk through 2 x 18 bottle cases of a mix of 16-18s.

Thanks for the heads up!

Rheinhold Haart ordinary?

Umm…no!

I don’t care for the wines very much. More stylistic than qualitative though.

I find them a bit low acidity and a touch flabby. Not a fan.

I’m in the same camp totally. The (very) sweet wines can be good though. I have some 2011 TBA to start drinking.

I really love the R. Haart Ohligsberg wines.

Honestly, I tend to find Goldtropfchen (from everyone) too low in acid these days.

A very Strange note indeed.

Chapeau!
fred

Thank you, Fred!

Nice note and thread!

I checked into the Julian Haart 2018 Goldtropchen kabinett back in December. Here’s my note from CT, fwiw:

‘Very shy nose, hardly gives up much, just a few hints of ripe orchard fruit tinged with citrus and honey. Palate is electric though, with great tingling acidity bouncing off lightly sweet citrus fruit and plenty of stony minerals. I feel this needs plenty of air and/or a couple of years in cellar to blossom into something very fine. 91 today, but loads of upside, I reckon’

Seems like that electric palate is the common theme here. The haart was pretty closed though and could use time or lots of air.

I also have a couple of Nik Weis St Urbans Hof kabs from 2017 from this vineyard. Any ideas how this producer compares to Lieser or Haart?

And yes, I also throw my hat in as a Kabinett lover! flirtysmile

Agree!

Um, what?

Went to Reinhold Haart’s estate and tasted through the whole line-up of 2016s. Not lacking in acidity and vibrancy at all.