TN: Schloss Lieser Riesling Kabinett 'Goldtröpfchen' 2018

As a follow-up question to my earlier post, i’ld be really interested to understand better how Kabinett’s develop with age.

I think I have my head around how dry Riesling develops and in terms of sweets beginning to know what to expect from Loire Chenin as it matures but kabinett? [scratch.gif]

Warning - gross generalization ahead - Warning

Same general development process as other German Rieslings. Kabinetts may get to certain stages a bit faster than say a spatlese, but they generally go through a closed period a couple of years after the vintage, re-emerge 3-5 years after that, then head slowly to maturity over the next 10 years or so. High quality kabinett ages remarkably well. I routinely drink 15-20 year old (or older) kabinett that has years of life left.

Also Goldtröpfchen Riesling Großes Gewächs trocken 2018 is truly awesome your Davyness champagne.gif

1000% agree

The same is true of the Doctor. Very glad Thomas Haag is making wine there.

Just try a 2015 Kabinett from Zilliken or Reinhold Haart. Wow wines.

IMHO, Reinhold Haart wines are fabulous.

Have them but afraid they still may be shut down/not ready.

Recently I’ve had some 15 Kabinetts and Spatlese from JJ Prum - they’ve been delicious! If Prum is accessible, I would guess most people’s wines would be.

Anon,
D.

Thanks for the really nice note David. I’m a big fan of the Schloss Lieser wines. In some past vintages I’ve found the kabinett to tend toward spatlese (but they’ve been wonderful nonetheless) but I agree that the ‘18 kabinett are proper kabinett. There is a 2018 Graacher Domprobst Kabinett Auktion that I was really enamored with.
Alex

Hi Alex,

I would have lovely to try one of his auction Kabinett! From such a good vineyard too - it must have been electric sex pants! It’s good that more and more people are making auction Kabinetts as it raises the profile of the whole style of wine.

I agree hiss wines are usually on the ripe side, but I had no problem with the level of sugar in this. From such a warm vineyard as well! I haven’t tried his Auslese Goldtröpfchen, but I bet it’s a crazy roller-coaster ride of ripeness and acidity. That, or the Spatlese, is the kind of thing is instantly blow an unexpected windfall of cash on. Feel free to drop by if I ever get one! [drinkers.gif]

Cheers,
Davy.

2018 Schloss Lieser Graacher Domprobst Riesling Kabinett Auction is indeed a great wine. Bought quite a few, on Magnum as well.
The non-Auction single vineyard Schloss Lieser Kabinetts are amazing as well. Especially Doctor; Piesporter Goldtröpfchen (as you described) and the Graacher Himmelreich should not be overlooked as well…

They were not shut down a few months ago. As for ready, I like German wines both young and older.

Just a little heads up. If you are desperate to get some Goldtropfchen at any Pradikat level (and an awful lot more), and you don’t mind importing from the UK, howardripley.com has an embarrassment of riches.

Cheers,
Davy.

There is an historical part here too: in the good old days, the auctions were about “Naturwein”, meening wine with no sugar added. With the new law from 1971, these wines where called Prädikatsweine, with Kabinettt beehing the lowest level (of sugar in the juice). So a Kabinett is the nearest thing to a not-so-sweet Naturwein.
Usually auction wines in Trier are very sweet, but Egon Müller has his auction Kabinett (Alte Reben) less sweet than a typical nowadays Kabinett, so it is even nearer to a Naturwein and he sells 1200 bottles, which corresponds more or less to a fuder. In the old days they auctioned whole fuders.

Thanks for the information, Charlie! I’ve had quite a few auction Kabinetts and it’s the screaming acidity I like. I’ve damaged my stomach (too many overdoses [cry.gif]) so they really hurt; but as the Germans say, “Every pleasure end with a caning”!

+1 Thanks Davy. I love Schloss Lieser as a producer.

Cheers, Don! I really feel that wines like this are the reason we try different wines from around the world. We hope we will encounter something transcendent like this. The Editor and had a bottle of Egon ‘Yoda’ Muller Scharzhofberger Kabinett 2001 a week ago, and that was bloody marvelous, but this thrashed it’s arse until it bled. Words are not really enough; if you are passing through Winchester any time soon, Don, I’ll pop one and you can experience! [drinkers.gif]

But they don’t seem to exist anywhere one can actually buy them!

+2 good to see you posting