TN: Winos' excellent adventure in France

Ballers!

Post of the year Kevin

I never left wine…I’m still drinking wine while making beer. I’m a non discriminating alcoholic…haha. Great notes Kevin!! Many thanks for capturing the week. My top end of the bucket list is completed!

2004 Jean-François Ganevat Côtes du Jura Les Vignes de Mon Père - France, Jura, Côtes du Jura (6/24/2017)
I have been curious to try a dry Ganevat wine. I order it based on the young sommelier’s recommendation over his Chardonnay. Intense nose displaying very ripe yellow fruits, peach, pineapple, lemon curd, dry orange peel, caramel, honey, lanolin, oyster shell, oyster jus, saline and wet stone. Exceptional concentration, deeply toned, dense and oily, sweet yellow fruit driven palate impression, piercing acidity, incredibly mineral and a long mineral driven finish. Decadent, deep, fresh, precise, sweet, sour, crunch, wax and mineral, all in one. Excellent showing. I highly recommend. (95 pts.)

While I concur with Kevin’s great note and descriptors for the Ganevat, this wine just blew my doors off. Easy 98 for me. The somm said this wine spent 10 years in cask, sans soufre, yet it was fresh as a daisy. Never had savagnin with this much complexity and verve.

Kelly,

I met two times the Ganevat Vin Jaune 2004 : a great wine !

Green savagnin too (but Kevin wrote that the sommelier recommended a chardonnay ?).

WOW !

To clarify, there were two different Ganevat chardonnays and this. The Chardonnays were around 50 to 60 euros. He recommended this (around 125 euros) over Chardonnays.

In some ways, this may have been one of the two most memorable wines of the trip along with the 96 Coche Auxey-Duresses.

Kevin

Sorry, I misread your expression : “over his chardonnay”.
Concerning the chardonnay, Grands Teppes or Chalasses Vielles Vignes may actually be very good.

More like $100 per hour but wow!. What a memorable trip. I would have to rest up a month after a trip like that.
champagne.gif

Definitely the best wine related summary I have read in a long time. Great TN’s and photos. I love Beaune. We were in Burgundy back in May. We stayed in Flaget Echezeaux. Thanks for sharing a tour that most of us will never experience. Bravo.

JH

I stumbled across this post just after the right time. While COVID forced us to cancel this year’s Burgundy trip (along with every other social engagement), it was nice to reflect upon such an amazing experience. Hope everyone’s drinking well during our house arrests.

This was a truly memorable trip. It will be impossible to replicate.

Why do you say that, Kevin ?

Unbelievable even to only do a small part of it ever… Really top stuff! Need to go to Troisgros… and others…

Laurent,
We took another Burgundy trip last year. It is extremely difficult to get the top domaine visits for us.

OK, I know that too.
Formerly, I could visit DRC.
Visiting Rousseau and Roumier becomes difficult if you don’t buy (I loved the 2016 at Rousseau, Roumier and Mugnier in 2017 - Mugnier Musigny 2016 rated 19/20).
Coche too (but I am Lucky enough to buy there).
Btw, I really liked the mere Coche Bourgogne red 2017 drunk at home a few weeks ago.

I thought that you could also talk of the COVID …

After such a trip you may as well quit. You have reached The End.

And Bernard Noblet has retired …

Justin,

Thanks so much for pulling up this thread. Great memories! A soothing balm for troubled times. The crew will ride again!