Top 10 St. Joseph Producers

And what about Domaine du Monteillet by Stéphane Montez? Is this imported in the US?
If so then I suggest to look for his “Cuvée du papet” St Jo. A bit of oak in its youth but very good St Jo for around 20€ ex-domaine.

Alain

1 Like

Yeah Monteillet is also very good but not imported to US last I saw. Used to buy in Ampuis for a song. Gaillard for sure and it does come into the US.

At 41 years of age I’ve finally learned not to go where I am not wanted. And I am hated on here more than many on here love wine.

Carry on.

I’d join a couple others nominating Pierre Gaillard for addition/consideration

Gangloff’s St-Joseph is excellent, but stupidly expensive.

Xavier Gerard’s is also lovely, finessed.

1 Like

Chapoutier and pic…only had the 2010…it was like crack

Missing Eric Texier.

Never seen one…from a glance on winesearcher that might not change.

COMMERCIAL POST

My company has just taken on the agency nationally for the Cave de Tain l’Hermitage, a substantial producer of St. Joseph. I think their top bottlings can be brilliant. I also used to represent the Cave de Saint-Desirat, another Coop making some excellent wines from this Appellation. Of course, the U.S. being the heartland of Rugged Individualism, it is hard for Cooperative wineries to get the respect I think they deserve (and that they get in many other countries). I just got back and had the 2015 Cave de Tain St Joseph Blanc ‘Terre d’Ivoire’ and I think it’s stunning.

to Mat Cohen: Please err on the side of shouting your commercial interests out loud. There is no need to open yourself (and your company) to the kind of derogatory comments that inevitably appear when these interests are anything but crystal clear.

To Lyle Fass, you wrote: “At 41 years of age I’ve finally learned not to go where I am not wanted.”

At 69 years of age, I haven’t begun to learn this; apparently never will. [snort.gif] [worship.gif] [truce.gif]

Dan Kravitz

I somehow missed this thread earlier. Faury is way up there for me too. I find the regular St Joes is a well worth the increase over the VdP. Haven’t opened a VV yet though.

I had no idea Darnaud was related to Bernard Faurie or that he made a St. Joe, I drank a lot of his Crozes when I was first getting into wine.

Well maybe not top 10
Is Guigal not worth a 11th place?l

And we bless you for that. So, when you going to retire? [whistle.gif]

Absolutely nothing against you Lyle.

In more general terms:
I do have significant discomfort at threads started, or posts added, that may be construed as marketing. With people who also post other comments and generally take a positive and active role in the forum, this should (IMO) mean the benefit of the doubt is given in borderline situations, but not to the point that it encourages other businesses to see it as a free-for-all to post their marketing for free here. I’d much rather see Todd switch from the annoying Google ads, to selling that advertising space to specific wine businesses, which then makes it much more clear cut that anyone pushing the limits is impinging on one of Todd’s revenue streams.

My discomfort is that it would quickly kill the forum for me if it at any time it felt like a free advertising hoarding.

regards
Ian

I tentatively plan to 86 my career (retire) when I turn 86. I’m healthy, happy and making a comfortable living. The universe, of course, may have other ideas. It could be 76 or 96, or tomorrow.

I think it really important that people in the business make their affiliations unmistakably clear when they post, especially when they initiate threads. This is not about the benefit for consumers on the board, this is about the benefit for merchants who are posting. If your post can be perceived as shilling for your business, you will be excoriated for it and your business will, at least to some extent, suffer. Transparency is in everybody’s interest.

And so as not to drift the thread off the ends of the earth, I am really partial to Faurie as the great old man of St. Joseph.

Dan Kravitz

It’s been imported by Weygandt wines since at least the 14 vintage. I don’t know if they bring it in in any quantity.

Dard & Ribo
Joseph Trollat
Barge Clos de la Ribaudy (I will have a 2018 tonight)
Bernard Faurie
Monteillet cuvée du papy

1 Like

Bernard Gripa
Jean-Louis Grippat
Courbis les Royes (a spectacular stiff slope)

After he retired, Trollat’s vineyards went to Gonon, Darnaud, Desestret.

I think Dard et Ribo make a few fantastic St. Joseph cuvees. Not easy to find in Texas but they over-deliver…

1 Like

Monier-Perreol

1 Like

I only had it once and agree, but they do not show up on my radar all that often. I think Voodoo first tipped me off to it.

AND I didn’t see mention of my two faves - Voge (a recent entrant but the Les Cotes is excellent) and St. Cosme.