Top 10 St. Joseph Producers

The real question is why did Jonathan revive a five year old thread.

He didnā€™t. Billā€™s post before that was deleted.

Ah. I was wondering if that might have happened.

Totally agree. For me, the Terre Blanche reaches the lower rungs of the top 10.

I heard Guy Fargeā€™s: Saint Joseph Passion de Terrasses, is top stuff. Has anyone tasted it?

Anyone try Jean-Louis Chave Saint-Joseph Clos Florentin?

From a website:

ST JOSEPH ROUGE CLOS FLORENTIN

The 2015 is the first release from the Clos Florentin under itā€™s own domaine label. Previously it was being blended into the Domaine Saint Joseph. It is made from a parcel purchased in 2009 from Domaine Florentin (Le Clos de lā€™Arbalestrier), an old domaine with a clos located in the village of Mauves, in the heart of the Saint Joseph appellation. The vines are on average over eighty years old.

I do not recall hearing of this new release, but just saw it on WineBid. Itā€™s starting at $100, so all-in would be around $125.

I like the reds when the mouse doesnā€™t appear. When it does, it eventually renders the wine undrinkable. I am a bigger fan of their whites for sure.

I think one producer who absolutely is in the top-10, perhaps top-5, is Francois Dumas.

Excellent list , Mathew . Agree with Gonon , I love that wine ( especially the white St Joseph )

It showed up at the top of the list. I read it, didnā€™t remember it, responded to a post without reading the date. As someone said below, I didnā€™t revive it, just didnā€™t know it was old. Probably a result of my being old.

Never had a full bottle, but tasted a couple of different vintages at wine fairs in Lyon. I found these St Jo a little on the light side: lots of black pepper but lacking some oomph to my palate. He has some seriously old vines in there (100 years!) but maybe the tasting context didnā€™t do the wines justiceā€¦

However, his Cornas on the other handā€¦ flirtysmile

Thanks. Also good to that hear the Cornas is good. Bought three 2017ā€™s not long ago as I could get them cheap :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, Dumas rocks! Slight vin nature edge, but really solid St Jo. His Condrieu is just brilliant as well, the only wine from this appellation that I like! I think that is because he just makes it a terrific white wine first and foremost, and that it just happens to be viognierā€¦

But back to St Jo, and the other name that has to be on here is Christophe Curtat. His red is just so elegant and full of depth and he makes a top white ā€˜Les Amandiersā€™ from all or nearly all Roussanne. Jā€™aime!

Thanks for the comment about bolding and line spacing, Iā€™m guessing it was easier to read when I got to it. (This time aroundā€¦)

Lolā€¦so I could prove yet again that I donā€™t ever check how old a thread isā€¦even if I already posted on back thenā€¦

The Condrieu certainly is atypical for the appellation - if I have a craving for Condrieu I prefer Vernay and Perret but Dumasā€™s is a lovely wine for sure.