Top Chef Season 10: Seattle- Blog

Is she the first contestant to talk about “boob sweat” on an episode?

How about the amped up chef who referred to herself as a movement? Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, Hugh found her cooking to be a different kind of movement.

It amazes me that people can speak about themselves that way. I wish Top Chef wouldn’t even give these people the time of day. They are more interested in fame and money than cooking. Let FOX pick them up for some other reality show, leave this one to people who care about their craft.

Stefan is back. Nice!

Yeah. And nearly gone in the same episode!

Stephan had a horseshoe up his ass. I think the only reason he didn’t get launched is because of the need for “drama” in the show. This is gonna be a long season; and very weak too. "Goggle-face’ from Texas is already long for dismissal. That goofy chick from NYC (Pellegrino) is really aggravating too.

Please, Lord, let Carla pack her knives ASAP. I’m not sure I can watch three months of her non-stop yapping.

John looks like he’s got real cooking skills, but I think his personality will be his undoing. He’s the first one, though, that I think could be one of the favorites. Stefan back in the mix is also cool.

Well yes, she is awful: http://www.bravotv.com/people/carla-pellegrino/bio
But she is very entertaining in a trainwreck sort of way.

Rofl, no kidding, that would have been embarrassing! Stefan dodged a bullet, but it makes sense… more of an unforgivable mistake to overcook the fish vs quail.

“Carla, please pack your knives, your mouth, your butt, and scoot it out that door.”

Hilarious that CJ was talking himself up for staging at noma, claiming he is now 10 times better, and then botches a simple emulsion.

Yeah, it pretty much seemed like the same old CJ.

It always annoys me when I hear cooks complain that so-and-so doesn’t cook the same “style” as theirs, and that their food is “simple” and “rustic”. Give me a break. I hear simple and rustic, and I hear lazy and sloppy. That being said, great “rustic” cuisine always follows classical (whether French, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, etc…) principles and technique. Just because food is simple and rustic doesn’t mean technique is thrown out the window, although lots of cooks seem to think that way?

I agree.
When I hear a chef like this complain and say something like simple and rustic and I hear; "I have never bothered to learn classic techniques so I am going to hide behind this moniker of simple and rustic."

I am always surprised that the contestants never really talk about cooking for the judges. The show has been on for 10 seasons. At this point, people should have a good idea of what Tom and Padma like. But you never hear chefs saying "we should cook X " or “we should use technique Y” because Tom or Padma always like it. Maybe the judges can remain 100% objective. But if not, it seems like that strategy would be at least as good as picking a dish to be different or choosing a team based on perceived knife skills.

I thought it was kind of a dumb decision to cook Quail when they had all of that amazing sea food to choose from. Kind of like choosing to serve Sashimi in the middle of the Sahara. You could do it but would it really be the best? Their rationale? To be different. hahahaha

I remember in Season 3, for a quickfire challenge, Hung made Padma a big alcoholic drink along with the breakfast challenge because he knew she was a lush. He won so it didn’t hurt =)

Also, contestants needs to season on the side of almost salty versus not. Those judges have big salt tolerance.

Ha. I actually think she’ll make for compelling television it it turns out that she has the chops to go far. But she’d have to be some sort of savant to cook at a very high level and be that disorganized and unhinged.

The returning Top Chefers just seem old and sad compared to their younger colleagues, which made it especially irritating to hear the new guys dutifully tell the camera how excited and/or intimidated they were. “We’re in the presence of reality-television greatness!” [bleh.gif]

Though I think I remember hearing someone say to make sure to salt the food enough for the judges. It’s become pretty clear over the years that Colicchio likes more than a little seasoning on his food.

IIRC, in season 5(?) didn’t Angelo win a Quickfire challenge when he strategized about making a dish black for Roberto Cavalli because he knew the designer liked black?

Big fan of Kristen. Big fan. Sadly, I don’t think she lasts. Can’t see Padma being too happy about a younger, prettier woman on the show. I predict she’ll go home early, despite a good early showing.