Top Chef Season 14

So glad Katsugi went … and irritated with him even as audience in LCK last night. Emily was just not up to the level of other talent. Jamie is impressive … I’d like to see him come back. Casey I find annoying and John’s drama just doesn’t cut it for me. Sheldon, Silva, Shirley all seem to cook such very good food and with good spirits.

Just ask Robert Johnson:

TOXXh24HnmY

I think he was trying to be really clever, thinking he was gaming everyone. Deliberately let John take the reigns then made a mess of the whole thing. Pretty sure he knows he’s not up to the level of the remaining chefs and tried to make a deep run through sabotage.

As far as those commenting on John’s “drama,” I am sure that is played up for maximum effect by the show. In any case, he has done better than I thought he would be he doesn’t seem to be at the level of the others. Casey too seems to be missing the mark. She’s puzzled when she takes flack for serving an under-seasoned dish when three or four others nailed theirs.

Casey is pretty thin skinned to be in a business with actual critics. Sheldon, Sliva seem to be the front runners. Sheldon was trying to be the peacemaker between Tesar (who has a bad rep here in Dallas) and Katsugi. He’s such a likable guy I’d like for him to win. I liked his season when they went to Alaska and Sheldon made split pea soup and Tom walked in and said "I wish someone was making split pea soup-Boom!

Padma tried to do a cooking show, and was really poor. Her knife skills are embarrassing, the dishes were unimaginative. Definitely eye candy, but unqualified as a judge.

I think Katsugi and John are both dicks. Emily was the weakest, and deservedly cut. I hope John is next.
Sheldon is probably the best but Silva finally showed his chops, and Shirley is very good, but quite never quite makes it to the top.

I cannot believe that whiny Emily lasted this long! A couple of times she was saved since she was on the winning team. Tesar really needs to go and continue his therapy. Not likeable at all!

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

DVR makes it somewhat watchable. Fast forward thru all of the obvious BS: Driving in cars. Shopping. Fighting in the apartment.

I did feel for the BBQ chef from Portland who was kicked off the show the episode before South Carolina BBQ.

Yeah but that guy sucked in every episode. I kept expecting him to get into gear and it never happened.

My office is next to Shirley’s restaurant and it’s been a flop. Part of that is an odd location but part of it was the menu didn’t really work for the location. I’m not sure but she might be out now as they list a new executive chef on the website and the menu has changed a lot over the last couple of months.

Couldn’t stand her after episode 1 when she was complaining about not being a rookie.

^ she was definitely this season’s “the one who hangs on too long.” There were seasons where that effect has been even worse though.

There have been some interesting dishes this season and a bit less of the “drama” than the last few seasons. There is still much drama - just not as much as in the recent past.

What has been interesting is that during the cooking, the dishes and the prep areas seem sloppy and the chefs out of control. But then the dishes are perfectly plated, complete and beautiful. Seems the editing has been a bit heavy handed and they are giving the cheftestants more time to complete their respective dishes than the show would seem to allow.

Funny you mention that, because last night for the first time they showed a staffer cleaning while they were still cooking. This was during Silvia’s frittata meltdown.

All who remains are Chefs from previous seasons? Glad it’s almost over.

Those chicken waffles that Sheldon came up with looked amazing. Shirley’s dumplings did not look in the same league. Sorry to see Silva go; rooting to finally get rid of John.

Watched last night and really wish John or Casey had gone instead … or Brook.

I also never thought of Cronuts as important culinary innovation but ok.

On the messy then well plated all of them should be working daily at a level where clean and well composed plating is the norm - under pressure and with little time.

Let’s remember that their daily lives as chefs involve cooking and plating a set number of menu choices that have been planned out in advance, with many of the ingredients already prepped. There isn’t a restaurant in existence where patrons can continually come in and order some wildcard dish that the chef and cooking crew have no clue about beforehand. An establishment along the lines of “Quickfire Cafe” would crash and burn pretty quickly IMO, simply b/c the pressure of doing something off the top of your head for every dish would be immense.

Maybe you missed it, but Casey got eliminated in the quickfire. It was a double elimination episode.

Yeah but she survived LCK where they had two winners.

Gene is right but a solid hot line cook works with intense pressure throughout service - and while yes they are inventing as they go, you’ll notice they draw on a vocabulary of approaches to ingredients that they have developed over the years. Would you run a restaurant like Quickfire - of course not.

This has been a good season, but the fact that this is like Top Chef All-Stars is a bit stupid. They need fewer alumni and more new talent.