Top Chef Season 14

I think the interested candidate pool for Top Chef contestants is getting shallower and shallower. The days of getting a deep pool of contestants (like TC Las Vegas) are becoming fewer and fewer IMO. Then you have to sprinkle in some “human interest” cases for drama sake.

We’ve had a lengthy discussion in another thread about how the restaurant industry is finding it more and more difficult to acquire and keep quality personnel, especially in the big cities like NYC, SF, LA, etc. Top Chef has to be affected by that trend, as well.

Silva is a real talent…that egg mess was not typical. I wished he could still be on.

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Shocked. I can’t believe Tesar is in the finals.

Even the final match in last chance kitchen was between previous contestants. I hope they never do this mixed model again. Glad we’re nearing the end of this mediocre season.

Colicchio will not let Brooke through with a soup. Not enough difficulty.

She picked her dishes weirdly I thought … of the three, I wanted Jamie to go to MX

I actually think that it was a pretty good season. I haven’t posted much because I’ve been one to two episodes behind throughout, but now I am finally caught up. It seems that the good chefs made it through. John hung on longer than deserved, but that kind of thing happens on this show. I would rather see Silva or Jamie in than Shirley, who has seemed unimpressive this season; not bad, just unimpressive. I would like to see Sheldon win, and he was on a solid run before the last episode.

I disagree with your analysis. I suspect the quality of resumes that they see is higher than ever. Look at the early seasons when it was essentially a bunch of kids competing, and compare to now when most contestants have their own restaurants or work for bona fide stars, and many have Beard nominations to their names. I think this season’s format has emphasized that less, but I certainly don’t think that they are having a shallower pool. Silva and Jamie were both very good. I can’t see why they’d have trouble luring just as big of talent. Not only is the money a big lure, but the exposure they are granted is invaluable in what is really a very tough industry to make a name for oneself. I could be wrong, that is just my impression of how it has gone. In fact, if I had to guess, I would say that the number and quality of applicants may actually make it more difficult for the show runners to pick the best candidates.

The show has always had its ups and downs in terms of talent. You mention Vegas, and that was likely the high point IMO, but it’s hard to say whether that was in any way due to the available talent or merely to a bit of chance.

I guess Colicchio is mellowing with age. Not only did Brooke make it out of LCK with a soup but she won the next week with a soup and salad.
Still wise to have a liberal hand with the salt for Mr. C., though.

I agree with this. I think the style of cooking on Vegas made the highs seem higher. But, I hardly remember any episode this season where they had multiple clunkers, after the first couple episodes. And my overall impression is that the flavor and refinement of the cooking has never been higher.

I take back everything good I said about this season. Lack of Sheldon in the finale is tragedy. The fact that they did a “stunt” challenge this late in the game is, IMO, totally unacceptable. When it gets down to that point, let them cook, don’t tie their hands behind their back. It’s stupid and gimmicky, and the show has done this too often. In earlier episodes I get it, but once you’ve changed locations I think the time for silly tricks is over and the time to choose the truly best chef is upon you.

Yes

I’m with this for the most part. Sheldon has been so consistent throughout the entire season I’d say he deserves to be in the final. However, knowing fish propensity to stick I have no idea why he didn’t oil that grate first. Overall been a good season, real shame about Sheldon.

I don’t know if perhaps they did not have oil available, or if there was some other reason for it. Overall though I just hate to see stunt challenges really late in a season. If a favorite goes down because s/he just tanks it, then I can live with that. However, to see a great chef lose on a challenge where there are silly requirements really irritates me. We watch the show because it is entertaining but at the heart of it is a desire to see the best chefs cook their best food, not to see how well they can do while hanging from the ceiling or blindfolded. This would have been a prime chance to just let them cook their food, one dish, then let the two finalists cook a full menu next week. That is what should have happened.

IIRC, they did not have any oil in this stunt challenge.
They also complained about the heat of the fire.

Another way to look at the lack of basic cooking ingredients is it represents a bad day in the kitchen and seeing how a true top chef rises above it. I hope the finale has no gimmicks so the two can really demonstrate all their skills. I think this has been a better season overall.

Initially I was in the camp of “This is a BS challenge at this point of the competition”. But the more I thought about it, the less I agreed with that position.

Putting aside the matter of the chefs knowing well in advance that they would be cooking in Mexico and the shows’ proclivity for WTF challenges, Sheldon fell prey to a fundamental error. He failed to think and apply basic cooking knowledge during the challenge. This error was not made by Shirley and Brooke.

Listening to the judges (the only evidence we have, and accepting that all that is edited to produce the most dramatic show possible), it was pretty clear that had Sheldon NOT made such a fundamental error then the results would probably have been different.

I liken it to a football player who fails to make the winning touchdown because showboating gets him tackled on the 1 yard line.

While I feel for Sheldon, in the end I believe he ultimately defeated himself.

Why didn’t Sheldon cook a test piece of fish? Brooke did.

Never butcher a protein in Top Chef. It’s the cardinal rule.

Another comeback from last chance kitchen. Congrats to Brooke.

The comments during the dinner left me thinking Brooke won despite her mediocre flan. At judges table it felt more like they were tied.

First course - Brooke’s oyster bite seemed a marginal winner over Shirley’s. 4 pts to Brooke, 3 to Shirley.

Second course - Octopus a clear victor over the Ramen. Surprised to even see an attempt at Ramen as was Tom. Ramen isn’t something you rush. 4 pts to Brooke 1 to Shirley.

Third course - perhaps a tie, but the comments by the diners seemed to favor Shirley. Tie. say 4pts each based on judges table.

Fourth course - Shirley (not sure what to call her dessert) but a win by a mile. 4pts to Shirley, 1 pt to Brooke.

Total pts. Brooke 13, Shirley 12.

A squeaker.

Forgetting your main protein … -4. Brooke was lucky Shirley is so honorable.

I’ve never related to Brooke’s food somehow though so that colors my view.