Turley bottles finally slim down

Turley’s are definitely space stealers in the maturing cellar! Great news!

Sea Smoke slimmed their bottles down 5-10 years ago, while retaining the same look and general shape.

Pax went fully away from the giant bottles.

Who else has done it?

1 Like

Copain got smart years ago. Maybe with the 07 vintage?

I’m wondering what truly is behind the move as they have been so reticent to do so in the past. Hopefully more info will come out about it. There is no doubt that at first, folks loved the distinctiveness of the bottle shape and the ‘heft’ of them, and my guess is that many others still do.

That said, there is no doubt that they will save on bottle costs and shipping costs themselves, that the strain those woking on the bottling line have felt in the past will be minimized, and that they will win back some who have moved on simply because of not liking the old bottles.

Kudos to them . . .

1 Like

Thank you for all the positive comments. The change was a long time coming. I have been working with the glass company for the last two and a half years to finalize the new bottle. The old bottle, like the new one is a custom mold and are quite pricey ~$80,000 so we wanted to make sure if we spent the money that we would achieve our goals. The two main objectives were to keep the distinct “Turley” look that Chuck House and Larry Turley created over 25 years ago, and make sure that the bottle fits in to common wine racks. It took me over two years and I can report that we are very happy with the results.
Best,
Tegan

1 Like

Wow, I had no idea Chuck House had collaborated on the original bottle design!

1 Like

Tegan,

Thanks so much for jumping on and sharing the real facts behind the change. And congratulations for achieving what you did - there are a lot of happy folks out there because of these changes!

Cheers!

1 Like

I second that. Now, about screwcaps . . .

[highfive.gif]

Awesome, Litterally stopped buying Turley because of this.

I didn’t stop buying but definitely limited buying to what will fit in certain designated areas. There is only so much space where the old bottles would fit without sacrificing too much cellar capacity as a consequence of the shape. Glad to see this changing also.

1 Like

Does anyone know the diameter of the new Turley bottle? I’m helping a friend choose new racking.

I just measured one, and I would say 3.5 inches, though I used uncalibrated equipment. I would go with 4.00” if I could not afford a mistake.

Thanks. The older bottle fit my 3.75” rack but not my 3.25” rack so its gotta be below 3.75 still.

Hmm…Storage wise, Yes!! Handling wise, I miss the old bottles. Kinda liked the heft when you handled and poured them.

I’m just not 100% confident in the 3.5”. Could have been a smidge over.

1 Like

I expect that if they are promising easier storage they would hit a lower mark than the old bottles… perhaps someone else can confirm.

1 Like

Slightly better measurement equipment this AM, and I would put it at 3.3". I suspect it’s “officially” 3.25".

1 Like

Ok! Now I must hunt one down and try to put it in my 3.25” slot.

1 Like

meanwhile there are several newer wineries in walla walla using calvados (and calvados style) bottles. I gave some feedback.

2 Likes